Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Clinic
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
Please review the volunteer requirements and application process below. Only candidates who qualify for available positions will be contacted for an interview.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, applicants from the Abbotsford community will be considered first. If you live outside the Abbotsford area we recommend you submit your application in the community in which you reside.
- Emergency Room
- General Day Care
- Gift shop
- Patient Visits
- Pet Visitation
- Renal Services
- Surgical Day Care
- Volunteer Resources
Please note some areas may not have vacancies in the program. We will make every effort to match you with the volunteer opportunity that meets your interests.
We are not accepting applications or inquiries regarding the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit ‘Baby Cuddler’ Volunteer Program.
Visit the B.C. Cancer Agency website for more information on volunteering for the B.C. Cancer Agency – Abbotsford Centre.
- Volunteers must be 19 years of age. (Under 19 years of age, please see the VolunTEEN section.)
- Volunteers must be willing to commit to a minimum of 6 months or 75 hours of volunteer service. Unfortunately, we do not have any short term volunteer roles at this time.
- Volunteers must adhere to Fraser Health immunization requirements and policies.
- Strong communication skills
Step 1: Apply: Download the application form below and complete in full.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Submit the form with a personal written letter of reference attached, by mail or in person to:
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Volunteer Resources, 32900 Marshall Road, Abbotsford, BC V2S 0C2.
- Drop off the application with the reference letter attached in a sealed envelope at the Greeter desk in the Atrium of Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
- Applications will remain on file for 6 months.
Step 2: Interview: Once your application has been received:
- Your application will be reviewed to ensure that your qualifications, skills and personality suit available positions.
- Only candidates who qualify for available positions will be contacted for an interview.
Step 3: Screening: Once you have been interviewed:
- Reference checks will be completed by program staff.
- Applicant must successfully complete a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check (documents will be provided during the interview)
Step 4: Orientation: Following the completion of a successful reference check and receipt of Criminal Record Check:
- You will be notified that you have met the requirements and will be contacted re: an orientation date.
Step 5: Placement: Once all four steps are completed, program specific training will be provided.
Auxiliary to the Abbotsford Regional Hospital
Auxiliary members provide service within the hospital through approved programs and fundraise to purchase equipment and sponsor patient programs. Annual membership fee to the Auxiliary is $10.00. Service placement depends on individual skills, availability and area of service. Some areas of service, such as the Gift Shop, Surgical Day Care or General Day Care, require a commitment to volunteer during scheduled shifts. Other areas are more flexible; such as fundraising donations, or members working on projects from home.
Community Hospital Volunteers
Community Hospital Volunteers provide service within the hospital through approved programs. Service placement depends on individual skill, availability and area of service. Most areas of service require a commitment to volunteer during specific shifts. Community Hospital Volunteers are not involved with fundraising and do not pay membership fees.
The VolunTEEN Program at Abbotsford Regional Hospital is a partnership between Fraser Health and the Abbotsford School District.
Teens from 16-18 years of age attending school in Abbotsford are eligible to apply for the VolunTEEN Program. Applicants must have previous volunteer experience and the intent to pursue a future in the health care sector.
The VolunTEEN Application process for the 2016-2017 School year is now closed. Applications will be made available to Abbotsford Secondary Career Counsellors the third week of September 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year.
If you are under 19 years of age and have graduated and/or are attending a post-secondary school please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an application. Again, due to the high volume of inquiries, we are only able to respond to email application requests during the application period.
Applications will be reviewed and successful candidates will be invited to participate in small group interviews in December 2017 and January 2018. Only successful applicants will be notified and will be required to attend mandatory orientation and department specific training. VolunTEENS are required to volunteer for one full year with the exception of some twelfth grade students.
For more information on how you can become a volunteer, please contact:
Abbotsford Regional Hospital
32900 Marshall Road