South Asian Health Institute | SEHAT Wellness Ambassadors
The South Asian Health Institute’s (SAHI) goal is to improve the health and health outcomes of the South Asian population. SAHI values culture through innovative, evidence based care and empowers the South Asian population to make healthier decisions.
SEHAT, which is part of SAHI, is a new community-based program in partnership with South Asian places of worship and community champions to improve the health and wellness of the South Asian population.
SEHAT Wellness Ambassadors will talk to our South Asian population about health information and prevention services. This program is offered at select temples, gurdwaras and mosques within the Fraser Health region.
Skills and experience
- Ability to understand and be understood in English, Punjabi and/ or Hindi
- Ability to engage respectfully with a diverse population
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and set appropriate boundaries
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Interest in health and wellness and willingness to learn about important issues
- Health background considered an asset but not mandatory
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age
- Applicants must be willing to participate in the full screening process and provide a criminal record check
- Offer the following time committment: minimum 8 hours per month, flexibility in available hours per shift provided. Minimum 6 month commitment, or 48 hours.
Currently at select temples, gurdwaras, and mosques in Abbotsford, Surrey, and Burnaby.
Adult volunteer application process
- Apply online through Go Volunteer for the SEHAT program.
- Successful applicants are contacted for an interview with Volunteer Resources.
- Following a successful interview, you will be asked to apply for a criminal record check and submit two references forms or letters.
- Potential volunteers are invited to attend an orientation session upon completion of satisfactory references and a criminal record check. Orientation gives volunteers the knowledge they need for a safe, successful and rewarding volunteer experience.
- Following orientation, volunteers are scheduled for training shifts. Once training is complete, volunteers are ready to begin their regular volunteer shifts at the various Temples and Gurdwaras.
Before you start, please be aware:
This application will require detailed information on your past work and volunteer experience, personal and business references and emergency contact information. It will take approximately 30 minutes to complete and you will be required to hand in references after your application is complete. Once you enter your contact information into the system an application will be submitted to Volunteer Resources, even if you close your browser and leave the application before it is complete.
For more information regarding volunteering with SEHAT, please call Deljit Bains at 604-897-8469.