Onsite Sewage

Any home or building that is not connected to a municipal or city sewage system needs a method for getting rid of human waste.

Some buildings, usually in rural settings with no running water, may use an outhouse or privy.

Requirements for sewage disposal systems

All buildings with indoor plumbing need to have a sewage disposal system that is in compliance with the Sewerage System Regulation. The requirements include:

  • Construction and maintenance of a sewage disposal system with a sewage flow of < 22 700 L per day must meet the Sewerage System Regulation requirements including:
    • Single family dwellings or duplexes
    • Sewerage systems which service different buildings on a single parcel of land
    • Systems that serve one or more parcels on strata lots or on a shared interest of land
  • Larger waste water systems must meet the Municipal Wastewater Regulation requirements under the Environmental Management Act.
  • For more information about Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioners, contact the Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of BC at (604) 585-2788 or visit their website. The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists has a searchable directory of their members.
  • When it is not possible to install a sewerage system on a parcel of land, the owner may choose to install a sewage holding tank. Minimum requirements must meet the Sewerage System Regulation requirements.

Have a complaint or concern?

If you have a health and safety concern or complaint about an onsite sewage issue, please contact your local health protection office.

I Need To...