Working to improve the health of the population and the quality of life of the people we serve.

Onsite Sewage

Learn about the requirements for sewage disposal systems

Bookmark and Share

Any home or building that is not connected to a municipal or city sewage system needs a method for getting rid of human waste.

Some buildings, usually in rural settings with no running water, may use an outhouse or privy.
Requirements for sewage disposal systems

All buildings with indoor plumbing need to have a sewage disposal system that is in compliance with the Sewerage System Regulation. The requirements include:

  • Construction and maintenance of a sewage disposal system with a sewage flow of < 22 700 L per day must meet the Sewerage System Regulation requirements including:
    • Single family dwellings or duplexes
    • Sewerage systems which service different buildings on a single parcel of land
    • Systems that serve one or more parcels on strata lots or on a shared interest of land
  • Larger waste water systems must meet the Municipal Wastewater Regulation requirements under the Environmental Management Act.
  • Every owner who wants to construct a new septic system, or alter or repair an existing one, must retain the services of an authorized person who may be a professional engineer or a registered onsite waste water practitioner (ROWP) to design and oversee construction of the disposal system.
  • When it is not possible to install a sewerage system on a parcel of land, the owner may choose to install a sewage holding tank. Minimum requirements must meet the Sewerage System Regulation requirements.


View violation tickets issued in regards to onsite sewage disposal.


Visit our Fees page for costs related to onsite sewage disposal.


Visit our Resources page for information on onsite sewage disposal and maintenance for property owners.

Have a complaint or concern?

If you have a health and safety concern or complaint about an onsite sewage issue, please contact your local health protection office.  See listing below.

Locations Served
Environmental HealthBurnaby, Fraser Valley, Langley, Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows, New Westminster, Surrey/White Rock/ Delta, Tri-Cities

Healthlink BCCompliments and Complaints
Emergency NumbersFind a Doctor