George Derby Centre consists of three general resident care units with multiple lounge areas, spacious dining rooms and direct access to outdoor areas.
The Centre also has two modern, secured special care units for our residents with dementia. Owned and operated by George Derby Care Society.
George Derby Centre is designated as 100% priority access for veterans of the armed forces who have served in the theatre of war. All applicants must be deemed eligible for admission as determined by Veterans Affairs Canada. Eligible veterans residing in any part of Canada and with complex health care needs may be admitted to the Centre.
We provide professional and medical services, therapeutic programs and coordinate access to other necessary health care services not provided by our staff. Our vision for the future is to be the centre of excellence for the provision of supportive independent living, complex and dementia care for veterans of the armed forces and the general senior population.
- 300 publicly subsidized residential care beds; included a 57-bed special care unit.
- Rooms include a single electric bed, arm chair, night table with a locked drawer and bedside and floor lamps. Other features include a built-in clothes closet, a chest of drawers, notice board and an adjustable shelving unit.
- Residents may also bring your favourite items such as a comfortable chair with washable material, plants, a television set, a radio and other personal items.
- We offer comprehensive recreation and leisure activity programs. We have two buses for community outings.
- We cannot accommodate motorized wheelchairs due to safety concerns.
- The Centre maintains a pet visitation program. We support our resident dog, “Ebony”, who comes to work with one of our full time staff and tours the Centre to spend time with our residents. The Centre also maintains a pet management policy for our residents’ comfort and safety.
- The Centre enforces a strict smoking policy, and maintains a safe smoking program for those demonstrating unsafe smoking practices. Residents may only smoke in the designated smoking rooms or outdoors.
Parking and Transportation
Public transportation is nearby.
Clients must meet Home and Community Care requirements and criteria for admission. A health care needs assessment will be completed to confirm eligibility. See website for more information.
Referral by case manager at a Home and Community Care office is required. To access service call the Home Health Service Line for more information; do not contact the care home directly.
There is a monthly accommodation fee; additional fees may apply for incidental services.