Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Clinic
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Abbotsford Regional Hospital. Volunteers are important members of the health care team. They are citizens of our community, offer service and support to our patients, families and visitors, while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Abbotsford Regional Hospital. Volunteers must have prior volunteer experience to apply.
Our Winter/Spring 2018 intake is now closed. We accept applications in January, May and October. Please re-visit our site to apply during one of these months.
Benefits of Volunteering
There are many benefits to volunteering at Abbotsford Regional Hospital Hospital. You will experience personal growth and development, the satisfaction of helping others, career exploration and will meet new people. You will also learn more about the health care system, share your abilities, build new skills and help strengthen your community.
If you do not have prior volunteer experience, please consider applying to Residential Care (see below).
Please review the application process and volunteer requirements below. Only candidates who qualify for available positions will be contacted for an initial interview. If you reside outside of the Abbotsford community, we suggest you submit your application to the hospital in the community in which you reside.
Please be aware that our intake process takes 6-8 weeks from the time that we contact you. It is a multi-step process designed to ensure the safety of our patients, residents and clients.
- Step 1: Application Complete the application form
- Step 2: Interview Those with appropriate skills and availability are selected for an interview
- Step 3: Screening Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4: Orientation Attend a mandatory hospital orientation
- Step 5: Placement Training and placement following orientation
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- Previous volunteer experience
- A current Criminal Record Check and references
- Proof of Seasonal Flu Vaccination and immunity to Measles
- Minimum Age: 19 years (excludes VolunTEEN Program)
- Minimum commitment of six months (Vacations can be accommodated)
- Ability to attend a regularly scheduled two - four hour shift once a week
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
Volunteer Opportunities - ARH Auxiliary
The Abbotsford Regional Hospital Auxiliary has been serving the healthcare communities for over 95 years. This non-profit society oversees and manages the Hospital Gift Shop and is involved closely with the Fraser Valley Healthcare Foundation in providing funding for much-needed medical equipment and patient comfort items. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities with the ARH Auxiliary, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer Opportunities - Residential Care (Cottage and Worthington Pavillions or The Residence in Mission)
We believe the resident’s quality of life is the focus of our activities. Volunteers are a valued member of the team and play an important role in enhancing the team’s commitment to care. Together with residents, families, and staff, volunteers partner to practice a philosophy of care that:
- Promotes comfort, independence and a sense of belonging for our residents
- Encourages socialization
- Supports communication, leisure interests, varying living abilities and diverse spirituality
VolunTEEN Program (16 - 19 years of age)
Applications for the VolunTEEN Program for the 2017-2018 school year is now closed.
If you require more information, please contact Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Volunteer Resources, email@example.com