Hope / Agassiz Health Services
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Hope and Agassiz Health Services. We have a range of volunteer programs from patient and resident visitor support roles to recreation activity support to fundraising activities. Become a part of our volunteer team and get involved in your community!
Volunteer involvement is essential to the quality and continuity of health care services in the communities of Hope and Agassiz. You may volunteer at Fraser Canyon Hospital, Fraser Hope Lodge, Hope Public Health, or Agassiz Public Health. Please review the important information below about where and how you can get involved.
Auxiliary to Fraser Canyon Hospital and Fraser Hope Lodge
The Auxiliary members give thousands of hours annually to raise funds for vital equipment needed for patient and resident care. In addition to fundraising activities, they visit with residents and assist them to participate in recreation activities at Fraser Hope Lodge.
Volunteer opportunities are available in the hospital gift shop, immunization clinics, older adult day program, Fraser Hope Lodge recreation department, and special event fundraisers. Meet new people in your community, and give back to others – it’s a great feeling.
Community volunteers contribute by providing social and emotional support to patients in the hospital or to residents in Fraser Hope Lodge. These volunteer roles provide an excellent opportunity to observe direct patient care and are very popular with students who are considering a career in a health care environment.
- Emergency and information volunteer: Enhance communication and provide comfort and support to patients, families and visitors in the Emergency Department. Assist visitors to find their way to diagnostic departments and provide information as required.
- Activity cart visiting program: Encourage patients to participate in leisure activities; provide companionship and social interaction while playing cards, coloring or reading.
- Day program for older adults: Volunteers support older adults to participate in recreation and leisure activities at the day care centre. Shifts are weekdays between 10am – 2pm.
- Baby and immunization clinics, Public Health: Provide instructions and information to clients visiting the immunization clinics; assist the public in completing required forms, offer to play with children while their sibling is receiving their immunization, weigh babies and assist staff as requested.
- Recreation program volunteer in Fraser Hope Lodge: Offer emotional and/or physical support to residents in order for them to participate in leisure activities such as gardening, painting, music, woodworking, crib, cards, crafts, bowling, and bingo. Bring your talents to share with the residents.
- VolunTEEN program for students aged 16-18 years: Participate in leisure activities with residents and act as a dining room host for the evening meal. Shifts are daily from 4:00 – 6:00pm and weekend shifts are available from 10am to 2pm. Obtain excellent work experience and decide if health care is the right career for you.
Fraser Canyon Hospital is also fortunate to have partnerships with other agencies that provide health care support:
Volunteers must meet these requirements:
- Application, screening, interview, references, orientation, and training
- Satisfactory criminal record check (for most areas)
- Minimum age of 16-18 years old (depending on the program)
- Minimum commitment of 75 hours of volunteer service to a regular schedule (shifts range from 2-6 hours once or twice a week)
Beyond the satisfaction of meeting people and helping others, volunteers receive:
- Orientation, training, and staff support
- References upon successful completion of 75 hours of volunteer service
- Invitations to special events and health care education workshops
- Valuable work experiences and knowledge about the health care community
How to apply
Follow these steps to learn how to apply:
Visit Go Volunteer and look for volunteer opportunities in Hope or Agassiz. Our current vacancies will be advertised on this website.
Over 19 years old?
Please complete an online application or download and submit an application package to the Volunteer Resources Department at Fraser Canyon Hospital.
Under 19 years old?
Priority for placement in the VolunTEEN program at Fraser Hope Lodge, Public Health or the older adult day program is given to students who are considering a health care career. Previous volunteer experience is required for volunteer positions in Fraser Canyon Hospital. Online applications are preferred, though students may also pick up an application package from their high school or in the ddministration office at Fraser Canyon Hospital.
We will make every effort to match you with the volunteer opportunity that meets your interests and abilities.
For more information or if you have questions, please contact:
Hope and Agassiz Health Services, Volunteer Resources Department
Main Office: 1275 – 7th Avenue, Hope, B.C. V0X 1L4