Learn about oral health clinical protocols that must be followed when completing student placements.
The Student Practice Team is sending a friendly reminder to all students and faculty instructors that the following Oral Health Clinical Protocols must be followed when completing student placements in Fraser Health. The protocols are associated with Practice Accountability Quizzes, which students and faculty instructors must successfully complete to demonstrate their knowledge and compliance.
Clinical protocol: Oral hygiene: Adult–independent, acute care
December 9, 2017
- All patients entering into acute care will be assessed for level of risk of acquiring NV-HAP and level of dependency requiring assistance with oral hygiene.
- All patients entering into acute care will have oral hygiene included as part of their care and in accordance with individual need for assistance throughout their hospital stay.
- Oral hygiene will be documented in the patient’s chart.
Nursing – acute care sites
Education and implementation
- Clinical Nurse Educators, Clinical Resource Nurses, and Clinical Nurse Leaders will ensure staff at the point of care are aware of this Clinical Protocol.
- Students and faculty instructors in acute care settings are required review the clinical protocol and successfully complete the associated Practice Accountability Quiz.
* Abbreviation is consistent with Fraser Health’s approved Clinical Abbreviations Catalogue on FH Pulse.
Clinical protocol: Oral health: Adult – integrated standards for residential care facilities and group homes
November 16, 2017
- All clients/residents will be provided with a soft toothbrush and necessary oral care supplies. A soft toothbrush is recommended over oral swabs for mouth care except in special circumstances or if recommended by a Health Care Professional.
- Dentures are recommended to be stored dry to reduce the growth of pathogenic bacteria.
Dental Services, Residential Care, Community Living, and Home Health.
Education and implementation
- Education and implementation will be site-specific.
- Students and faculty instructors in these practice settings are required to review the clinical protocol and successfully complete the associated Practice Accountability Quiz.
Why is this important?
Students and faculty instructors can only access these protocols via FH Pulse when they are on a Fraser Health computer on a Fraser Health site. We recognize that this is a barrier for those trying to complete these modules from a non-Fraser Health computer at home or school. To ensure that students and faculty instructors have the resources to complete the quiz(zes), we are sending PDF versions of the clinical protocols for your reference.
Please do not circulate, print, or file these protocols – they are only intended for Placing Coordinators, students, and faculty instructors in an appropriate healthcare program at educational institutions with which we partner.
How will this impact students and faculty instructors?
LearningHub instructions for completion:
- Although you will not be able to access the protocols directly on FH Pulse when you are not on a Fraser Health computer, click on the link to the module and close the tab or window that it leads to.
- The module will be checked off as “completed” in the LearningHub.
- You will be able to prepare for the quizzes using the PDF versions of the clinical protocols.
Students and faculty instructors who are completing student placements in Fraser Health are expected to apply any necessary changes in their practice to ensure that patients, clients, and residents continue to receive safe and quality care.
Please contact the Student Practice team.