Be prepared in the event of an overdose at your community agency.
What steps can my organization take to be prepared in an event of an overdose?
- Reduce the risk of an overdose occurring, build in tips for preventing an overdose through posters, group sessions and casual conversations in your organization.
- Know the high risk areas in your location where an overdose may occur (e.g. bathrooms, private offices).
- Learn how to recognize and respond to an overdose.
- Develop an overdose response protocol for your organization:
- Connect with staff and people accessing your organization to develop an overdose plan. People with lived experience can add a rich perspective on what may and may not work in your facility.
- Develop step-by-step instructions on how to respond to all types of overdoses.
- Practice your overdose response protocol regularly.
- Learn more about resources for service providers.
How can I request for training and education for my organization?
If your agency or organization would like to receive education on harm reduction, overdose awareness and/or naloxone administration, please complete the request form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note that we receive a high volume of requests, and we appreciate your understanding while we work through all of these requests. Following receipt of your request, someone will be in touch with you for any further clarification and/or to set up a date for your education.
If your agency or organization has delivered education on harm reduction, overdose awareness and/or naloxone administration, we would like to hear about it to ensure we are directing our resources in the most efficient manner and not duplicating efforts. Please tell us about your training here.
- Overdose prevention and response protocol recommendations for service providers
This resource was created by Fraser Health and Vancouver Coastal Health to provide guidance for service providers to develop overdose (OD) prevention and response policies and protocols.
- Sample overdose protocols for organizations
Sample policy and procedure manuals.
- Preparing for onsite overdose
An overdose response planning guide for community agencies.
- Engaging in overdose prevention conversations
Talking points to help guide conversations around overdose prevention.
- Video: The First Seven Minutes
The First Seven Minutes video, produced by the Toronto Harm Reduction Task Force, promotes discussion and the design and implementation of tailored overdose prevention protocols in agencies that serve marginalized populations.
- Fraser Health overdose prevention site manual