The Burnaby Hospital redevelopment project will provide residents in this growing community with improved access to quality care
The $2.4 billion Burnaby Hospital redevelopment project is a multi-phase project that will transform the hospital into a modernized medical and surgical health care campus. It will see two new patient care towers, a new cancer centre and expansion and renovations to existing buildings on campus.
The first phase of the redevelopment project will include the construction of a new pavilion and the expansion of the existing Support Facilities Building.
The new six-storey pavilion will have 83 beds, in primarily single-patient rooms with private bathrooms. It will include:
- A Mental Health and Substance Use Unit with a secured outdoor patio to enhance healing
- A Maternity Unit that will provide single-room maternity care, where individuals will go through labour and delivery, and will recover for the rest of their stay in the same comfortable room
- A Neonatal Intensive Care Unit with single rooms for more privacy and comfort for families as well as to support best practices for infection control
- A Medical Unit with negative pressure rooms and outbreak zones to enhance infection control
- Underground parking for improved accessibility
The expansion and renovations of the Support Facilities Building, which includes the Jim Pattison Surgery Centre and the Burnaby Community Emergency Department, will feature:
- A larger Emergency Department, reducing wait times and providing greater patient privacy
- Additional operating rooms and procedure rooms, increasing the number of surgeries performed
- Additional pre-operative and post-operative recovery spaces, enhancing patient privacy and creating efficiencies
- A new Medical Device Reprocessing Unit with improved infection control
- A new energy centre, replacing the aging power plant and creating more electrical capacity to support the hospital’s growth
The second phase will increase the hospital’s bed capacity and expand cancer services. It will include:
- The new Keith and Betty Beedie Acute Care Tower with 160 beds to include general medicine, medical oncology, cardiac telemetry and critical care units
- New BC Cancer Centre
- New Medical Imaging Department
- Emergency Department expansion
- Endoscopy renovations
Phase one (2021-2026)*
The first phase will include the construction of a new pavilion and the expansion of the existing Support Facilities Building.
Phase two (2025-2030)*
The second phase will increase the hospital’s bed capacity and expand cancer services.
*Dates are estimated and may be subject to change.
No active notices for Burnaby Hospital at this time.