Guru Nanak Niwas is a four-storey building with dining area, activities area, library, gym. Country kitchen is on the main floor; other floors have small lounges. Owned and operated by Progressive Intercultural Society (PICS).
Breakfast, lunch and dinner is served in sit down dining area; choice of vegetarian and non vegetarian foods is offered daily. Flat laundry service and housekeeping service provided once a week, washers and dryers available (free of charge for tenants personal laundry). Planned recreational activities provided Monday to Friday.
Client/tenant group is predominantly from South Asian background and our staff team are able to communicate in more than 8 languages including English.
- 49 publicly funded suites; all suites are one bedroom with living area, kitchen, accessible washroom and storage room, approximately 575 square feet.
- Each suite has a fridge and stove; residents must provide the rest of the furnishing as per their needs.
- Three meals a day are provided; menu is designed in consultation with the dietician and is circulated every 4 weeks, diabetic diets are available, pureed diets can be offered as required.
- Housekeeping/laundry provided once a week (flat laundry only); residents/families are able to use washers and dryers free of cost as required.
- The main floor is air conditioned. Portable air conditioners may be installed in individual suites upon approval by the manager.
- Shopping trips are organized every second week; residents decide where they want to visit. Birthdays are celebrated the last Thursday of each month. Other outings, picnics, religious/social visits are arranged regularly in consultation with the residents.
- Scooters are only to be used outside; parking for 6 scooters and charging facilities is available.
- No pets in the building
- There is no smoking in the building or the tenant suites. Smoking is allowed in the gazebo outside the building.
Parking and Transportation
Resident parking is available at $25 per month; limited visitor parking available on site and there is parking available across the street.
You may be eligible if you:
- are currently a Home Health client but are finding that these services are no longer meeting your care needs
- meet the general eligibility requirements for Home Health services
- are living at risk in your current home
- are able to communicate and be understood by others
- do not behave in ways that put the safety of others at risk
- are able to take direction in an emergency
- are able to use an emergency response system
If couples wish to move into an assisted living residence, only one member needs to meet the eligibility requirements for both to move in together.
You access this service through your Home Health Office, not through the residence. Contact the Home Health Service Line at 1-855-412-2121 to request an assessment.
- Residents pay 70% of their after-tax income (up to a maximum rate) which covers rent, hospitality services and personal care.
- Couple pay 70% of their combined after-tax income.
- Residents receiving provincial disability benefits pay a pre-determined, set rate.