Provides education and support to persons with a mild-severe brain injury.
General eligibility criteria for Acquired Brain Injury Services:
- 19 years of age or older
- Has an acquired brain injury with diagnostic evidence
- Medically stable
- Requires behavioural support and individualized care to complete activities of daily living and community living skills as a result of the acquired brain injury
- Has no (or limited) funding and/or access to services from third party funders
- Agrees to receive services from Acquired Brain Injury Services, or consent is provided by the client’s appointed representative
Referral criteria for Acquired Brain Injury Services Community Beds:
The client presents with a combination of cognitive or communication deficits that lead to intolerable safety risks; and one (or more) of the following:
- Has completed inpatient rehab and would benefit from a transitional rehab resource for further functional gains in order to move to a lower level of care
- No functional change is anticipated with intensive rehab intervention and current care needs can’t be managed in the home
- Has physical care needs and requires a placement match consistent with their peer group
- Presents with challenging behaviours that impact social and care interactions. These may include verbal, physical, or sexual aggression/disinhibition; persistent elopement; lack of initiation or impulsivity; inappropriate social behaviour.
Referral criteria for Acquired Brain Injury Services Community Support Services:
- Presents with cognitive or communication deficits that can be managed in the home.
- Requires an individualized plan to gain independence with instrumental activities of daily living and/or community living skills in various community settings.
- Actively participates in goal setting and achievement.
- Requires support for safety in their home where:
- Caregivers require support to avoid caregiver burnout.
- Services are required to mitigate safety concerns, medical needs, social vulnerability, or risk of self-neglect (e.g. adult guardianship concerns).
If you have specific questions about eligibility please call our intake team at 604-514-7460.
Referral from a physician, health care provider, family member, friend, or self-referral is accepted.