The Concussion Services is an early intervention and follow-up service for clients living with the effects of a recent concussion/mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI).
Who is eligible for this service?
- You have been diagnosed with a concussion by a physician or nurse practitioner
- You are 6 months or less post injury
- You are age 16 or over
- Age 0-11 years, contact BC Centre for Ability at 604-451-5511
- Age 12-15 years, contact GF Strong Early Response Concussion Service – Adolescents at 604-737-6291
- You live in the Fraser Health Authority region (from Burnaby to South Delta to Boston Bar)
How do I get an appointment?
- Have your health care professional (i.e. family doctor, nurse practitioner, ER, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, chiropractor, etc.) fax a referral form to the Concussion Services.
- All clients are mailed a package that includes information about concussion and guidelines for self-management of recovery. Clients also receive a letter inviting them to contact the clinic to schedule a time to attend an information session regarding concussion recovery and symptom management.
- Individual follow up appointments may be booked with our clinicians after the information session, on a case by case basis.
- Clients who do not meet our service criteria are provided direction on alternative resources.
What help will I get?
- Learn about symptoms and recovery from concussion/mild traumatic brain injury.
- Receive guidance about how to safely returning to daily activities, work, school and play/sports.
- Be screened for and be provided with recommendations for potential rehabilitative follow-up services.
- Consultation may be provided to family physician and other health care providers involved in your care.
- Liaising with specialists (i.e. neurology, psychiatry, neuropsychology, and/or physiatry) regarding medical management of persisting or escalating post-concussive symptoms, as appropriate.
Visit our concussion pages for more information.
Anyone aged 16 years and over, diagnosed with a concussion within the last six months, residing within the Fraser Health area.