Connecting and supporting Aboriginal people, their families, and mental health staff to provide culturally appropriate services.
Aboriginal mental health case manager and Aboriginal mental health liaison services
Our Aboriginal mental health case manager and Aboriginal mental health liaison can provide assessment, referral, counselling support services, and liaise with other mental health workers in hospital and community.
From connecting patients to community services, assisting and educating health professionals in caring for Aboriginal clients, to helping patients understand and navigate the health care system, liaisons provide invaluable support and services to Fraser Health’s Aboriginal patient population.
In Surrey, Delta, White Rock, Langley and Tsawwassen, call the Aboriginal mental health liaison at 604-953-4900 extension 763041.
In Mission, call the Aboriginal mental health case manager at 604-814-5642.
Aboriginal health liaisons in hospitals
The Aboriginal health liaison team works together with health care providers to provide better care in the most appropriate manner to Aboriginal people.
Aboriginal health liaisons can connect with Aboriginal patients and family members, health care professionals, and other service providers to ensure Aboriginal patients receive culturally sensitive, appropriate, and timely care, whether in hospital or community.
Aboriginal health liaisons can provide support, advocacy, and health education to Aboriginal clients and their families in hospital and community settings.
If you are Aboriginal and receiving care in a Fraser Health hospital, you can contact an Aboriginal health liaison to help you access health care services to meet your cultural needs.
You can contact an Aboriginal health liaison through the following hospital locations:
- Royal Columbian Hospital, Burnaby Hospital, Ridge Meadows Hospital, Eagle Ridge Hospital
604-587-4750 ext 766632
- Surrey Memorial Hospital, Peace Arch Hospital, Delta Hospital, Langley Memorial Hospital
604-587-4750 ext 766633
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Chilliwack General Hospital, Mission Memorial Hospital, Fraser Canyon Hospital
604-795-4141 ext 614213
Urgent mental health support
If you have an urgent matter you need support with, contact:
Kuu-us Crisis Response Services Line at 1-800-KUU-US17 (588-8717)
- Culturally sensitive help
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- First Nations helping First Nations
First Nations Health Authority
For assistance with First Nations Health Benefits, patient travel and advocacy contact the Fraser Salish regional liaison at 1-855-550-5454 or HealthBenefits@fnha.ca
- Fraser Region Aboriginal Friendship Centre Association
Dedicated to the preservation of Aboriginal culture, languages, and traditions through social, employment, educational, and early years programs for Aboriginal people of all ages.
- British Columbia Schizophrenia Society: Aboriginal resources
Resources for First Nations communities and families.
- Network for Aboriginal Mental Health Research
This database describes existing mental health promotion, prevention and intervention programs and models for Aboriginal peoples in Canada.
- National Association of Friendship Centres
Network of 118 Friendship Centres and seven Provincial and Territorial Associations (PTAs) from coast-to-coast-to-coast.
- Health Canada: First Nations, Inuit and Aboriginal health, mental health and wellness
Factors influencing mental health, services, resources and links.
- Honouring Life Network: Aboriginal youth suicide resources
Your source for Aboriginal youth suicide prevention resources.
- Native Mental Health Association of Canada
National not-for-profit association that is governed and managed by Aboriginal leaders and exists to improve the lives of Aboriginal populations by addressing healing, wellness, and other mental health challenges.
- National Aboriginal Health Organization (NAHO)
Advancement and promotion of health and well-being of all First Nations, Inuit and Métis individuals, families and communities.