Simple road safety guidelines to prevent pedestrian injuries.
Many students walk to and from school. It’s important they understand safety practices for walking are just as important as those for riding on a bus or in a car. Students can follow some simple road safety guidelines to prevent pedestrian injuries:
- Always cross streets at corners where there are traffic signals and designated crosswalks.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing on front of them.
- Always walk on sidewalks. Walk facing traffic if there are no sidewalks.
- Be aware of cars that are turning or backing up.
- Never run out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Don’t text and walk. Keep your smartphone in your pocket or bag while walking.
- Younger children should walk to school with a buddy.