Provides ultrasound, genetic screening, pre- and post-natal care and consultation for women with at-risk conditions during pregnancy.
We are a multidisciplinary team made up of maternal-fetal medicine specialist physicians, nurse practitioners and registered nurses. Maternal-fetal medicine is a specialty area focused on the care and management of high-risk pregnancies. Maternal-fetal medicine physicians are obstetrician gynaecologists (OBGYNs) with additional fellowship training in maternal-fetal medicine (previously called perinatology). Our team frequently collaborates with other medical specialists and allied health professionals in the care of our patients.
Who we are
Our division focuses on the care of pregnant individuals who are either experiencing or are at risk of maternal health issues, fetal concerns, and/or pregnancy complications. When an obstetrical care provider (midwife, family doctor, nurse practitioner or obstetrician) has a concern either before or during a pregnancy, they may recommend a consultation with our service. Depending on the reason for consultation, additional testing and/or follow-up appointments may be recommended. We work with obstetrical care providers to ensure the safety of the pregnant individual and their unborn infant.
Services we offer
- Preconception counseling – discussing the risks and management plan for a potential future pregnancy when risk factors are present
- Consultation for prenatal genetic screening in complex situations
- High-level pregnancy ultrasound:
- First trimester: nuchal translucency assessment, early fetal anatomy assessment
- Second and third trimester: detailed fetal anatomy review, fetal echocardiography (specialized assessment of the fetal heart), fetal neurosonography (specialized assessment of the fetal brain), fetal growth evaluation, fetal wellbeing assessment, placental evaluation, and advanced fetal Doppler studies
- Screening for placenta accreta spectrum (a condition when the placenta abnormally grows into the uterine muscle)
- Invasive diagnostic testing: Amniocentesis (removing amniotic fluid from around the fetus to send for testing).
- Therapeutic procedures: Amniodrainage (removing amniotic fluid from around the fetus when the amount is too high and causing symptoms)
What to expect
During a visit with our team, we will collect a medical and pregnancy history and may review any medical tests from this pregnancy including blood tests, and pregnancy ultrasound. Some visits may include a fetal ultrasound. The visit will conclude with a review of all findings and results available and any next steps that may be recommended.
Where we are
Preparing for your visit
You have been referred to the Maternal Fetal Medicine clinic. Below please find some information that you may find helpful in preparing for your visit.
The Maternal Fetal Medicine team in Fraser Health has two primary clinics:
Your provider will specify which location.
In preparing for your visit please note the following:
- If you have been referred to the JPOC clinic: Please arrive 15 minutes early for your appointment
- If you have been referred to the RCH clinic: Please arrive 30 minutes early and register on the Main (Ground) level of the hospital at Patient Registration before coming to the maternity floor.
- One adult support person is welcome
- If you have been referred for possible placenta accreta spectrum or an NT scan, Please ensure you have a full bladder otherwise a full bladder is not required.
- While our team believes in family-centered care, due to the sensitive medical nature of your appointment it is not a suitable environment for children. As a result, we ask that you kindly make alternative childcare arrangements. If your child must attend the appointment a caregiver must accompany you and they may be asked to wait in the waiting room with the child if needed.
- Please note that we are an academic institution and a medical trainee may be involved in your care.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office:
- Royal Columbian Hospital 604-520-4132 (direct line to MFM Clerk)
- Jim Pattison Outpatient 604-582-4558 ext 763995