Time-limited treatment in structured, substance-free, live-in environments.

Bed Based Treatment services and supports address the physical, emotional, social, intellectual, and other needs of each person who enters substance use treatment in a short- or long-term live-in setting.

These programs are best suited for people with moderate to severe substance use issues who:

  • Have increasing severity of substance use.
  • Tried non-bed based substance use services without success.
  • Have low levels of social supports, including unemployment or under-employment.
  • Have significant family/relationship challenges.
  • Experience multiple relapsing events following substance use treatment.

We offer three types of bed based treatment services and supports:

1. Short-term transitional access to recovery (STAR)

Short-term transitional access to recovery beds are designed to support clients requiring stabilization related to secondary detox symptoms following completion of an acute detox.

This program is for individuals who lack safe housing and would benefit from additional health and social supports or services. It offers a clinically supported, safe, structured short-stay to help improve individuals’ access to and engagement with health care and support services. 

2. Stabilization and transitional living residences (STLR)

Stabilization and transitional living residences (STLR) offer programs that vary in length depending upon client needs. These programs are for clients with moderate to severe substance use issues who:

  • Have completed withdrawal management and who may be waiting to enter an intensive long-term care services and supports program.
  • May have completed an intensive long-term care services and supports program and require further support in a safe environment.
  • May be in the process of reintegrating back into the community and require low-to-moderate services and supports in a safe, structured living arrangement, free of alcohol and illicit drugs, and are not yet ready for day programs or community substance use services.

These residences do not provide intensive long-term care services and supports, but provide support and safety through peer counselling, group work and structured activities. The aim of this program is to enhance the strengths and skills of people and to empower them through evidence-based treatment.

3. Intensive residential treatment (IRTs)

Intensive residential treatment offers an intensive program experience for clients with substance use issues within a long-term care setting, supported by qualified and trained health care providers. Programs include group-based and individual educational and counselling sessions, meals, recreational, social and life-skills building opportunities.



Referrals from outside of Fraser Health are accepted from:

  • Withdrawal management facilities
  • Substance use counsellors/concurrent disorder therapists working in health authority-funded Mental Health and Substance Use clinics 
  • Clinicians working in acute care, including inpatient social workers

Complete the referral directly with the identified facility. In Fraser Health, this includes:

B.C. Provincial Correctional Centre referrals: 

Referrals to Fraser Health owned and contracted Substance Use Bed Based Treatment Programs are accepted for review and consideration from select B.C. Provincial Correctional Centres. 

In general, correctional clients must NOT be in a pretrial and remand situation and will need to have a definite release date within 90 days of a referral submission. A correctional client's release must not solely rely on acceptance from a Substance Use Bed Based Treatment Program.

 Referrals are accepted from: 
  • Fraser Regional Correctional Centre
  • Ford Mountain Correctional Centre
  • Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre
  • Okanagan Correctional Centre
  • Nanaimo Correctional Centre
Non-pretrial/remand referrals ONLY  Referrals are NOT accepted from
  • Alouette Correctional Centre for Woman
  • Prince George Regional Correctional Centre
  • Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre
  • Surrey Pretrial
  • North Fraser Pretrial
  • B.C. Corrections Offices (Probation Offices)

As a voluntary program and to best support referrals from B.C. corrections, the following court conditions are not accepted: 

  • House arrest conditions including electronic monitoring
  • Curfew conditions and checks
  • Community escort conditions
  • Court mandated treatment
  • Intermittent sentences (i.e. weekend jail)
  • Inflexible reporting (i.e. face-to-face only)
  • Specific residency requirements at a program site

Clients who are connected to B.C. Community Corrections – Probation Offices or otherwise living in the community can connect with an approved outreach substance use service in the client’s community. These services can assist clients with referrals to Fraser Health Substance Use Bed Based Treatment Programs. 

See list of agencies. 

Please note that Correctional Parole referrals are administered by individual private contract between the Correctional Services of Canada (CSC) and select individual contracted Substance Use Bed Based Treatment Programs. The Fraser Health Authority – Referral Coordination Services (RCS) is not involved in the review and processing of parole referrals.


For referrals outside Fraser Health, use the Substance Use Bed Based Treatment referral form along with the Early Exit Plan.

B.C. Provincial Correctional Centre referral checklist. This referral form is also to be used for B.C. Provincial Correctional Centers and Maple Ridge Treatment Center, which is owned and operated by Fraser Health.


  • Following the instructions on the first page, complete the referral form in collaboration with your client.
  • Fax the completed form, with all required collateral (including early exit plan), to the Substance Use Referral Coordination Service at 604-519-8538.  



  • Bed based treatment services and supports are not completely publicly funded and charge a daily fee to clients, which may be covered in part by income assistance, employment insurance or other funding assistance programs, if the person qualifies.
  • Community substance use services counsellors can assist individuals with applying for funding support. 
  • To apply for income assistance for the purpose of Substance Use Bed Based Treatment, visit: www.myselfserve.gov.bc.ca

Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.


Cookies help us improve your website experience.
By using our website, you agree to our use of cookies.