Find top tips to achieve a professional tone.
- Business and professional writing is direct, clear, informative and concise, while still being friendly.
- Know and write for your audience; know your key message(s).
- Avoid exclamation marks.
- Write the simplest thing that is true about the topic. Add more information if it is required by your intended audience.
- When appropriate, include citations for your sources.
- Include calls to action in communications, or clearly note deadlines for your recipient.
- Be consistent in your use of terms, names, titles and punctuation, especially in bulleted lists (Pro tip: Use our Fraser Health-branded templates).
- Be aware of the Confidentiality and Security of Personal Information Policy and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Follow the guidance in this brand site to ensure correct use of punctuation, spelling and style conventions that align with our brand standards.