Provides professional nursing care in your home and community.
Home care nursing is for people who need care at home, temporarily or indefinitely, for a variety of health reasons including:
- Being released from the hospital after surgery or a sudden event such as a stroke or serious injury
- Worsening of a chronic condition that requires a higher level of care than is available at home
- Living with ongoing health issues that are making it difficult to be at home
What services are provided?
Our professionally trained and licensed home care nurses also provide:
- Wound care, intravenous therapy or palliative care
- Health education about chronic diseases and healthy living
- Referrals to other community services such a community rehabilitation or social work services
- Self-care information so that you can live as independently as possible
- Education to enhance your friends’ and family's abilities to provide care
- Home support services to enable you to care for yourself as much as possible
Home visits for nursing care occur seven days a week. Visits are scheduled in advance according to medical priority and where you live.
What services are not provided?
There are a number of services that home care nursing does not provide but can help you access including:
- House cleaning or laundry
- Grocery shopping
- Rehabilitation equipment/aids
- Driving to appointments
- Foot care
Some Home Health services are provided free of charge while others include a cost based on your after tax income. Learn more about costs of our Home Health services.
- A guide to your care
The guide includes general information about services available to help British Columbians live as independently as possible and information about end-of-life care. It also provides useful information for family and friends.
- B.C. Ministry of Health: Home support
Home support services help you to remain independent and to live in your own home as long as possible.
For general questions or to access this service, contact our central Home Health Service Line, 1-855-412-2121.