Dr. Albert Chan is the regional division head of interventional cardiology at Fraser Health.
Dr. Chan oversees the interventional cardiology division at Fraser Health and is the director of cardiac catheterization and interventional cardiology at Royal Columbian Hospital.
Dr. Chan received his medical degree at the University of Toronto, and underwent cardiology residency at the University of British Columbia, and interventional cardiology fellowship at The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. He obtained a Masters Degree in Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Harvard Medical School. He has been on staff as an interventional cardiologist at Royal Columbian Hospital since 2004.
His clinical interests include minimal invasive structural cardiac interventions such as transcatheter aortic valve replacement, left atrial appendage closure, patent foramen ovale/atrial septal defect closure, and balloon mitral valvuloplasty, as well as complex coronary interventions. He has made numerous publications in medical journals, and has been involved in a number of multi-national clinical research studies.
Dr. Chan served as a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Examiner for Cardiology Certification in 2012-17, and an executive committee member of the Canadian Association of Interventional Cardiology. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, American College of Cardiology, and the Society of Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions.
He is a clinical associate professor of medicine at the University of British Columbia.
Areas of expertise
- Percutaneous coronary intervention
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement
- Left atrial appendage closure
- Patent foramen ovale
- Atrial septal defects
- Balloon mitral valvuloplasty
- Peripheral artery interventions (carotid stenting, renal, iliofemoral angioplasty)
- MD – 1994 – University of Toronto
- Internal Medicine Residency – 1994-1997 – University of Toronto
- Cardiology Residency – 1997-2000 – University of British Columbia
- MSc Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics – 2000 – Harvard School of Medicine
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowship – 2000-2002 – Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Physicians Leadership Program at the Sauder School of Business – 2016 – Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia
Dr. Chan has completed research on the following topics:
- Transcatheter heart valve therapy
- Percutaneous left atrial appendage closure
- Regional organization of ST-elevation myocardial infarction program
- Outcome research
- Chan AW, Wong D, Charania J. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement in bicuspid aortic stenosis using Lotus Valve System. Cathet Cardiovasc Interv 2017;90:157-63
- Chan AW, Kornder J, Elliott H, Brown RI, Dorval JF, Charania J, Zhang R, Ding L, Lalani A, Kuritzky RA, Simkus GJ. Improved Survival Associated With Pre-hospital Triage Strategy in a Large Regional ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction Program. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2012;5:1239-46
- Chan AW, Bakar SN, Brown RIB, Kuritzky RA, Lalani A, Gordon W, Laberge C, Simkus GJ. In-hospital Outcomes of a Regional STEMI Acute Transfer and Repatriation Program. Can J Cardiol 2011;27:664.e1-664.e8.
- Chan AW, Henderson MA. Reorganization of the vascular care in Canada. Can J Cardiol 2010;26:43-4.
- Chan AW. Current Perspective on Carotid Revascularization Among Patients Who Need Cardiac Surgery. J Invas Cardiol 2010;22:386-90
206-301 E. Columbia Street
New Westminster, B.C. V3L 3W5
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.