Dr. Daniel Wong is a cardiac surgeon at the Royal Columbian Hospital where his practice includes complex aortic surgery, and is co-director of the transcatheter heart valve program.
After medical school in Toronto, he completed his residency in cardiac surgery at Dalhousie University and Master of Public Health at Harvard. Dr. Wong gained subspecialty fellowship training in aortic surgery at Texas Heart Institute and in transcatheter valve procedures at St. Paul’s Hospital. Dr. Wong previously practiced in Victoria, B.C., where he was also medical director and department head for cardiac services on Vancouver Island, before moving to his current position.
He is involved in education and clinical research and has published numerous scientific articles. He is an examiner for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, a member of the Provincial Advisory Committee on Cardiac Health, and clinical associate professor at the University of British Columbia. When away from his practice, Dr. Wong is happily enjoying the outdoors in beautiful British Columbia. Dr. Wong is currently accepting new referrals.
Areas of expertise
- Cardiac surgery
- Aortic surgery
- Valve repair
- Transcatheter heart valves
- Endovascular aortic surgery
- Outcomes research
- MPH – 2003 – Harvard University
- MD – 1999 – University of Toronto
- BSc – 1995 – University of Toronto
- FIBrinogen REplenishment in Surgery (FIBRES) study in acquired fibrinogen deficiency.
- Wong DR, Coselli JS, LeMaire SA. Managing dissections of the thoracic aorta. Am Surgeon 2008;74:364-80.
- Wong DR, Coselli JS, Amerman K, Bozinovski J, Carter SA, Vaughn WK, LeMaire SA. Delayed spinal cord deficits after thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair. Ann Thorac Surg 2007;83:1245-55.
- Wong DR, Parenti JL, Green SY, Chowdhary V, Liao JM, Zarda S, Huh J, LeMaire SA, Coselli JS. Open repair of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm in the modern surgical era: contemporary outcomes in 509 patients. J Am Coll Surg 2011; 212:569-79.
- Wong DR, Willett W, Rimm EB. Smoking, hypertension, alcohol, and risk of aortic aneurysm in men. Am J Epid 2007;165:838-45.
- Wong DR, Vander Salm TJ, Ali IS, Agnihotri AK, Bohmer RMJ, Torchiana DF. Prospective assessment of intraoperative precursor.
- FIBrinogen REplenishment in Surgery (FIBRES) study in acquired fibrinogen deficiency events during cardiac surgery. Eur J Cardio-thorac Surg 2006;29:447-55.
Awards, honours, recognition and certification
- Preceptor of the Year in Subspecialty Surgery, Royal Columbian Hospital, 2015
- Killam Scholarship, Dalhousie University, 2003
- Rosetti Research Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital, 2002
- Peter D. C. Thomas Scholarship, Harvard University, 2002
- Pu A, Ding L, Shin J, Price J, Skarsgard P, Wong DR, Bozinovski J, Fradet G, Abel JG. Long-term outcomes of multiple arterial coronary artery bypass grafting: a population-based study of patients in British Columbia, Canada. JAMA Cardiol 2017; 2:1187-96; doi: 10.1001/jamacardio.2017.3705.
- Chan AW, Wong D, Charania J. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement in bicuspid aortic stenosis using Lotus valve system. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2016; doi: 10.1002/ccd.26506.
- Karkouti K, Callum J, Wijeysundera DN, Rao V, Crowther M, Grocott HP, Pinto R, Scales DC, TACS Investigators, Achen B, Brar S, Morrison D, Wong D, Bussieres JS, de Wall T, Harle C, de Medicis E, McAdams C, Syed S, Tran D, Waters T. Point-of care hemostatic testing in cardiac surgery: a stepped-wedge clustered randomized controlled trial. Circulation 2016; 134: 1152-62.
Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.