Fabio Feldman has developed and implemented falls prevention initiatives in acute care, long term care facilities, assisted living, and in the community.
Most of the programs developed by Fabio and the Fraser Health Falls Prevention Team have been adopted by other health regions across Canada.
Fabio obtained his PhD in biomechanics at Simon Fraser University. His research was mainly focused on the prevention of falls and hip fractures. He currently holds an adjunct professor position at the Department of Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology at Simon Fraser University and is a faculty member of the Safer Healthcare Now! Falls Prevention Team.
Areas of expertise
- Falls and injury prevention
- Older Adult Program
- Simon Fraser University - PhD, Biomechanics
Awards, honours, recognition and certification
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University
- Member of the Gerontology Research Centre Steering Committee, Simon Fraser University
- Faculty member of the Safer Healthcare Now! Falls Prevention
- Member of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research Knowledge Synthesis Review Committee
- Fraser Health Salary Research Award
- Award of Excellence: BC Falls and Injury Prevention Coalition
- NDI Young Investigator Award: Canadian Society of Biomechanics
- Korall AMB, Feldman F, Scott VJ, Wasdell M, Gillan R, Ross D, Thompson-Franson T, Leung PM, Lin L. Facilitators of and barriers to hip protector acceptance and adherence in Long-Term care facilities: A Systematic Review. JAGS, in press, 2015.
- Feldman F , Moore C , da Silva L , Gaspard G , Gustafson L , Singh S , Barr SI , Kitts DD , Li W , Weiler HA, Green TJ. Effectiveness and safety of a high-dose weekly vitamin D (20,000 IU) protocol in older adults living in residential care. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 62(8): 1546-50, 2014.
- Dilley LB , Gray SM , Zecevic A , Gaspard G , Symes B , Feldman F , Scott V , Woolrych R , Sixsmith A , McKay H , Robinovitch S , Sims-Gould J. An educational video to promote multi-factorial approaches for fall and injury prevention in long-term care facilities. BMC medical education. 14: 102, 2014.
- Hanson HM , Hoppmann CA , Condon K , Davis J , Feldman F , Friesen M , Leung PM , White AD , Sims-Gould J , Ashe MC. Characterizing Social and Recreational Programming in Assisted Living. Canadian journal on aging. 11: 1-11, 2014.
- Robinovitch, S.N., Scott, V., Feldman, F. Home-safety modifications to reduce injuries from falls. The Lancet. 22 Sep 2014 [Epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61188-0
- Woolrych R , Zecevic A , Sixsmith A , Sims-Gould J , Feldman F , Chaudhury H , Symes B , Robinovitch SN. Using Video Capture to Investigate the Causes of Falls in Long-Term Care. The Gerontologist: first published online July 5, 2014 doi:10.1093/geront/gnu053, 2014
- Sims-Gould, J., McKay, H., Feldman, F., Scott, V. & Robinovitch, S. N. Autonomy, Choice, Patient Centered Care and Hip Protectors: The Experience of Residents and Staff in Long Term Care. Journal of Applied Gerontology. 33(6):690-709, 2014.