Learn about self-isolation and self-monitoring for Fraser Health staff and medical staff

  • I work at Fraser Health. Do I need to self-isolate after travel outside of Canada?

    Fraser Health staff and medical staff who are returning to Canada from another country AND are asymptomatic can return to work right away but should otherwise self-isolate for 14 days, as directed by the federal government under the Quarantine Act. 

    Please follow these instructions if you are asymptomatic:

    • When you are not working, self-isolate at home, a hotel, or other place
    • Self-monitor daily for symptoms of illness, including cough, fever, or gastrointestinal issues using this form: Daily Self-monitoring Form for COVID-19
    • Avoid unnecessary visits to public places except for basic needs (e.g. groceries, medication) – when possible, ask others who are not self-isolating to help you get these items
    • Outside of work, maintain a 2 metre distance between yourself and others
    • At work, try to maintain a 2 metre distance from fellow workers.
    • Family members who you have travelled with are required to self-isolate for 14 days.
    • Please see the Q & A on “How do I self-isolate” for what to do outside of work. The BCCDC Guidance for Essential Workers Returning to BC provides detailed information. 

    If you are symptomatic or develop symptoms, you should self-isolate at home immediately and do not go to work. Contact an assessment centre to get tested as soon as possible. 

    *The Federal order under the Quarantine Act requires everyone who enters Canada to self-isolate for 14 days upon their arrival. Fraser Health staff and medical staff are considered essential workers and are exempt from this order if they are asymptomatic.

  • I am a Fraser Health staff or medical staff and feel unwell with respiratory or gastrointestinal symptoms, should I come to work? 

    No, you should not come to work. Fraser Health staff and medical staff who have cold, flu, or COVID-19 like symptoms are to stop working, get tested for COVID-19, and self-isolate while awaiting test results. 

    Please see the question “When do staff and medical staff get tested, self-isolate, and return to work” below for information on how long to self-isolate for before returning to work.

  • I was exposed to a patient who tested positive before they had symptoms and I was not using appropriate PPE, what should I do?

    Public Health will contact you during the course of the case and contact investigation and provide further instruction.

  • When do staff and medical staff get tested, self-isolate, and return to work? 

    For staff and medical staff who have symptoms of COVID-19:
    Stop working, get tested for COVID-19, and self-isolate while awaiting test results. 

    If you test positive, regardless of your travel and COVID-19 exposure history, you are to self-isolate for 10 days from the onset of symptoms, and return to work after the 10th day if you are afebrile without fever-reducing medications and asymptomatic. Coughing may persist for several weeks, so just a lingering dry cough alone does not mean you need to continue to self-isolate for more than 10 days. 

    If you test negative and have not been exposed to anyone with COVID-19 and are not an international returning traveller, return to work when asymptomatic. Coughing may persist for several weeks, so just a lingering dry cough should not stop you from returning to work. 

    If you test negative and are a returning international traveller, self isolate for a minimum of 14 days from when you landed in Canada and/or when symptoms resolve, whichever is longer. Public health may contact you if you should return to work earlier.

    If you test negative and were exposed to someone with COVID-19 while at work and were not wearing appropriate PPE, self isolate until cleared by public health to return to work.

    If you test negative and are a close household contact where someone you live with has COVID-19 self-isolate for a minimum of 10 days from when you started feeling sick and/or 14 days from the day you were exposed, whichever is longer.

    You can find information on how long and how to self isolate after a negative test from the following healthcare and essential worker handout.

    For staff and medical staff who feel well:
    Staff and medical staff
    who have treated patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 can continue working and do not need to get tested so long as they are asymptomatic. If PPE was not worn or there was a high risk exposure, notify your supervisor and refer to BCCDC detailed guidance on exposure risk assessment for further actions. Public health will contact you and provide further direction if needed.

    Returning travelers can continue working but should otherwise self-isolate for 14 days. They do not need to get tested so long as they are asymptomatic. If you become symptomatic, get tested and self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days

    Staff and medical staff who are a household contact of a known positive COVID-19 case, please follow instructions provided by public health who will contact you.

  • How do I self-isolate?

    • Stay home the whole time you self-isolate. Try to arrange for food and essential items to be delivered and dropped off at your door when you need them.

    • Avoid face to face contact with others, including those who live in your home.

    • Do not go to work, school, or public areas

    • If you must leave the home, such as for an urgent medical assessment, do not use public transport, taxis, or ride shares. Call the medical centre in advance of going.

    • Do not have non-essential visitors to your home.

    • If possible, have other people who live in your home stay somewhere else, especially if they have a chronic health condition or are older.

    • If you need to share a home, stay and sleep in a separate room with good airflow that is away from others. Use a separate bathroom if possible, and keep at least 2 metres distance away from others.

    • Wear a face mask if you are in the same room as someone else or when you must leave the house to see a healthcare provider.

    • Practice frequent hand hygiene and cough or sneeze into your elbow or tissue

    • During the period of self-isolation, self-monitor daily for fever, cough or worsening symptoms. Check your temperature daily (if possible). The BC self-assessment tool will help you assess your symptoms.

    • If you are having worsening symptoms, call 8-1-1 or your family doctor

    • If your symptoms are not improving at 5 or more days after you initially started feeling unwell, call 811 or your family doctor

    • If at any time you are feeling very unwell and are worried this might be an emergency (e.g., severe difficulty breathing or chest pain), call 911. 

    Plan ahead and prepare for what you will do if you or a family member becomes sick and needs care. You can ask friends or relatives if you require help with buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication. Alternatively, you can order groceries and medication by phone or online.

  • I work in the community with a patient who is asymptomatic, but was told to self isolate due to close contact with a confirmed case, what should I do?

    Health Care Workers should perform a risk assessment before the provision of care. The point of care risk assessment is based on judgement about the clinical situation and the patient’s environment.

    For more information, please contact your manager. 

  • A health care worker colleague advised me that they had contact with a suspect case while at work and is wondering what the next steps are in the event that this case is confirmed? 

    In the event that this is a confirmed case, public health will contact you and provide you with next steps.

    In the meantime, practice standard infection prevention and control measures and continue to work unless public health advises otherwise.

  • Have Fraser Health employees been quarantined?

    Yes. At this time a small number of Fraser Health employees have been quarantined. We are following all Workplace Health processes, policies, and guidelines to ensure the safety of our employees and the health of our patients.

  • How are staff compensated if they are asked to self-isolate?

    If staff are asked to self-quarantine by public health and are not symptomatic then they will be paid for any missed shifts and coded as “general quarantine pay”.

    If staff are self-quarantined because they are symptomatic they will be compensated for missed shifts by using their sick time banks.

    Staff who are confirmed to have been exposed while working and are confirmed positive will have a WorkSafeBC claim filed on their behalf by the Provincial Workplace Health Centre

  • How are medical staff compensated if they're off work due to COVID-19?

    Medical Staff are covered by Doctors of BC Disability Insurance provided by SunLife.

  • I’d like to stay in a hotel to self-isolate away from home. Is there any support available for that?

    The Ministry of Health has partnered with Fraser Health and our Foundation partners to support Temporary Staff Accommodation (TSA) for Health Care Workers who are working in active COVID-19 patient care, and/or staff who do not provide patient care but are assigned to a key COVID response role. All staff, including clinical staff and contracted services (e.g. contracted long term care sites, housekeeping services, food services). Our Foundations are leading this work with the local site leadership.  Please connect with your supervisor for further information.