Resources and tools to help staff and medical staff manage stress and anxiety during COVID-19.
Managing anxiety around COVID-19
This guide highlights six tips to support you during this challenging time
In these two videos and handout, Dr. Marietta Van Den Berg (Psychiatrist and Physician Quality Lead for Surrey Hospitals), addresses common experiences and concerns frontline staff and leaders are coping with.
- Managing Stress and Anxiety, Dr. Van Den Berg offers ways to recognize stress within your body and gives some simple suggestions on how to manage underlying feelings of anxiety caused by COVID 19.
- Coping with Uncertainty, Dr. Van Den Berg offers easy strategies to recognize your fears for what they are – thoughts – and helps you identify those things that are within your control as a helpful way to plan for, and be in uncertain times.
- ABC123 - Psychological first aid tool, Dr. Van Den Berg's handout provides techniques to help reduce symptoms of acute anxiety and other emotional distress. (pdf file)
Increase your personal resilience by following a short guided exercise that uses your breathing to calm and focus yourself during stressful times (Video exercise takes 4 minutes).
Accessing emotional support for teams
Immediate emotional support is available (both in-person and virtually) from our Critical Incident Stress Management Team (CISM) for employees and medical staff who are experiencing significant workplace stress and anxiety.
We also have client partners working with leaders at all sites to identify teams needing emotional first aid support. Please let your leader know if you or your team needs emotional support.
Peer-to-peer psychological first aid
Our peer-to-peer psychological first aid tool provides simple guidance if you need to provide an in-the-moment response to a colleagues or staff member who needs support. Please find additional tools here.
Digital mental health program to manage COVID-19 stress and anxiety
Starling’s 100% confidential digital mental health program is designed to help you manage stress, anxiety, and worry during the COVID-19 crisis. Registration is free for all Fraser Health employees, medical staff, and their families. This program helps people:
- Set healthy boundaries to manage the constant stream of COVID-19 information
- Learn about strategies and tools to manage anxiety and worrisome thoughts as a result of COVID-19
- Connect with a supportive, confidential online community for ongoing peer support
Sign up on the Starling Minds registration page using access code: FHAWELLNESS
Access counselling support through our Employees Assistance Program
The employee assistance toll-free number is 1-844-880-9142 available 24/7.
The employee assistance program offers counseling as well as a wide variety of work/life-oriented services at no cost to you to help you balance your responsibilities at work with the obligations you have at home. All Fraser Health employees are eligible for EAP, including casual employees.
Physician Health Program
The physician assistance toll-free number is 1-800-663-6729 available 24/7.
The Physician Health Program offers counseling for private, discreet assistance with issues that you and your family may be facing.
Care for Caregivers
Care for Caregivers resource hub provides information and resources for health care workers to help support good mental health and well-being.
General resources for your health and well-being
Access resources to support your work, life, mental and physical health.