The employee absence reporting line is an automated phone system that ALL Fraser Health employees must use to report an unscheduled absence from work.
EARL is available 24/7 so you that you can call any time - day or night!
You are expected to call EARL as soon as possible for any planned or unplanned health-related or special leave absences from your regular work.
Call the employee absence reporting line (EARL)
604-605-EARL (3275) OR toll-free at 1-877-FHA-EARL (342-3275)
Who needs to call EARL?
All employees of Fraser Health, including front line staff, managers, directors and executive need to call when they have an absence from work.
When should I call EARL?
For any reason, other than scheduled vacations or time off, when the absence from work is one (1) full shift or more. You do not need to call EARL if you are leaving work early or coming in late.
Calls can be logged up to five (5) days in advance of your first missed shift.
Why should I call EARL?
- Report a short-term health-related absence. This includes any illness or injuries which did NOT occur in your workplace. If your absence is longer than you initially reported - call in to provide an update. After your 5th missed shift, a member of the disability management team will contact you in order to better understand your situation and support your return to work.
- Report an absence due to an injury or accident at work. If your accident occurred at work, please also call the provincial workplace health call centre at 1-866-922-9464.
- Report an absence due to a special leave or emergency. This includes special leave, compassionate leave and other situations that may arise.
- Report a pre-planned medical absence which can include:
- Medical / dental appointments which require you to miss one (1) full shift or more.
- Pre-planned surgeries or procedures. Contact your manager as soon are you are aware of your surgery AND call EARL within five (5) days of the start of your leave. If you will be off for five (5) or more shifts (for a longer recovery); select five (5) or more when asked how many shifts you expect to be off. You do not need to call back to EARL again for this absence.
What number do I call?
604-605-EARL (3275) or toll free 1-877-FHA-EARL (342-3275)
How does it work?
- You can call EARL to report any absence related to illness, injury and other leaves such as compassionate and special leave; unplanned and planned (e.g. surgery) medical leaves that are one full shift or more. Calls can be logged up to five days in advance of the first missed shift.
- You enter your employee ID number to identify yourself. A live operator is available 24/7 if needed.
- EARL asks you a few questions and then will transfer your call to the unit / department phone number.
- Reason for absence selection options:
- Personal illness (includes an illness as well as injuries which did not occur in the workplace)
- Injury at work
- Other unplanned absences (includes special leaves, compassionate leave and other situations)
- Pre-planned (includes medical / dental appointments that will take one shift or more, pre-planned surgeries)
- Reason for absence selection options:
- You MUST speak with your manager / supervisor / charge nurse / PCC or other designate. If you are unable to speak to someone or leave a voicemail message when the call is transferred, please call back directly to the department.
- Charge nurse / PCC / supervisor or designate will phone the staffing office or make arrangements for staff replacement using the internal department process.
- Your absence notification will be sent to those on the distribution email group as well as to your own email.
What if the department and site noted after I enter my employee ID is not correct?
Dial 0 and speak with the live operator. Identify the correct department you are scheduled to work for the shift you will be absent from. The information spoken to you identifying your position, department and location is pulled from the Meditech HR system. If you think this information is incorrect, please contact your manager when you return to work to get this updated in Meditech.
What happens if I work at more than one site?
There will be an option to choose the worksite depending on your secondary job and/or ESP schedule. If you are scheduled to work in a different department or different worksite from what is recognized, dial 0 and identify to the live operator the department (unit) you are scheduled to work at. If the absence is multiple days AND effects two different sites / departments, you need to make a separate call for each.
What if the call does not transfer me to the department or seems to disconnect?
After you receive a confirmation number, your call is transferred to your department. The transfer can take up to 10 seconds where you hear dead air; do not hang up, your call is being transferred in the background. Ideally, you would be able to leave a voicemail message to verbally identify that you will be absent. If you are unable to leave a voicemail message, phone back directly to your unit or department. You need to verbally speak or leave a message with your absence details.
What happens if I don't use the EARL line?
Your absence will not be logged in the system properly and you could be marked as a no show.