Information on how to submit your ethics application for harmonized review.
Effective November 30, 2019, multi-jurisdictional studies involving staff, participants, facilities, and/or resources from two or more Research Ethics B.C. (REBC) partner institutions must submit a single harmonized ethics application through the Provincial Research Ethics Platform (PREP) via the UBC RISe system.
REBC includes the following partner institutions:
- Fraser Health
- Interior Health
- Island Health
- Northern Health
- Simon Fraser University
- University of British Columbia *includes BC Cancer, BC Children’s Hospital, BC Women’s Hospital, Provincial Health Service Authority, Providence Health Care, and Vancouver Coastal Health
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Victoria
Learn more about Research Ethics B.C.
How do I submit my ethics application for harmonized review in PREP?
- Create a campus wide login (CWL) to create a RISe account here. A UBC affiliation is not required.
- Principal Investigators (PIs), please email Sarah Flann to request PI status on your RISe account.
- Once you have activated your CWL, log in to RISe and populate your application.
- All supporting documents must be uploaded to RISe Section 9.
RISe tutorials, guidance notes, and mock ethics applications using the RISe Sandbox are available here.
Are there Fraser Health specific requirements for Harmonized Studies?
- External researchers, who are the principal investigator for the study, must first become ‘affiliated’ with Fraser Health before their ethics submission will be reviewed by the Fraser Health Research Ethics Board. Review the affiliation process for further instructions.
- External researchers must have a Fraser Health co-investigator on the study. Please note that a signed letter from the Fraser Health co-investigator must be submitted with the ethics application including following information:
- Complete study title
- Name of the principal investigator conducting the study
- Clear outline (can be in point form) of the co-investigator’s responsibilities
- Completion of the Fraser Health Institutional Approval and Privacy Review form
- This form may either be submitted via RISe with the ethics application or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
When can I start research-related activities at Fraser Health sites?
Research-related activities at Fraser Health sites many only commence once both the Harmonized Ethics Certificate of Approval and Fraser Health Letter of Authorization to Conduct Research have been issued.
For details regarding harmonized studies at Fraser Health, contact Sarah Flann, research ethics specialist and regulatory specialist.