Understand the process in obtaining approvals for your research project.
Research conducted within Fraser Health jurisdiction requires Fraser Health Institutional Approval, via a Letter of Authorization to Conduct Research (LOA).
The LOA will be released when both Ethical Approval and Operational Approval are in place.
Further to applying for ethical approval, researchers must submit an Application to Initiate a Project Record on the ROMEO Research Portal. When all approvals are in place, the LOA will be issued, authorizing the research team to begin research activities/procedures at Fraser Health.
The Fraser Health Research Ethics Board reviews applications on two platforms:
- ROMEO Research Portal: Research that that only takes place within Fraser Health, or partners only with institutions outside of British Columbia
- Provincial Research Ethics Platform (PREP) on RISe: Multi-jurisdictional research involving Fraser Health and other health authorities or academic institutions in British Columbia
All research conducted within Fraser Health jurisdiction requires an Application to Initiate a Project Record on ROMEO, which includes (but is not limited to) research utilizing Fraser Health sites, data, resources and research led by Fraser Health staff and physicians.
The operational approval process ensures a proposed research project complies with Fraser Health policies and can be supported by the relevant departments within Fraser Health. Each area will determine whether they are able to support the research.
Following the submission of the Application to Initiate a Project Record, study teams will receive instructions on what additional ROMEO forms are required for their project, such as:
- Affiliation Agreement Request (read more information)
- Contracts Intake (read more information)
- Data Access Agreement (Privacy review) (read more information)
- Department Agreement to Provide Research Related Services (DAR) Form
Contact the Research Approvals team at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.