Child Care Applications


Apply for a child care licence

A community care facility licence is required for all programs and facilities providing care to three or more children who are not related to the operator by blood or marriage.

What is an application for licence?

An application is a request for permission to operate a community care facility under as specific set of criteria (e.g. service type; maximum capacity; business structure; name of facility, etc.).

Sections 7 and 9 of the Child Care Licensing Regulation require an applicant for a licence to submit a written application that includes all requirements specified in Schedule B of that regulation.  Applying for a community care facility licence is the applicant's agreement to comply with the legislative standards on an on-going basis.  It is important that the applicant understand the legal obligations and responsibilities.  Prior to purchasing an application package the applicant should read through the Community Care and Assisted Living Act (CCALA) and Child Care Licensing Regulation (CCLR). The Act and Regulation are provincial law and set out the minimum health, safety, and care standards that must be met by tall licensed child care facilities.

Applications can be made for new facility licenses or to amend an existing facility licence as follows:

I.   New Facility Licence Application applies to:

  • New Applicant/Licensee (also includes change in business structure)
  • New Premises (also includes a Licensee that is moving to a new address)

II. Application for an Amendment to an Existing Facility Licence applies to a request for a change to what was submitted in the original application.

  • Change of service type
  • Change of maximum capacity
  • Change to any terms/conditions on the licence
  • New facility manager
  • Information that is not printed on the licence but requires updating in the Licensing data base e.g. any change to contact information including name of designated director; change of licensee contact; mailing addresses; telephone numbers; email address etc.

Questions about child care licensing

Apply for a new child care licence

An application package may be purchased from your local licensing office.


  • New applicant package fee (includes resource binder and getting started course): $75.
  • Existing licensee application package fee: $50 (for licensees who already have the resource binder).

Process to get a licence

After Licensing has received a completed application package the Applicant will be contacted by a Licensing Officer who will assist the Applicant through the process. Issuance of a community care facility licence cannot occur until all legislative requirements have been met. The process of issuing a licence can take some time as it requires a number of approvals including:

  • Municipal (fire, building, zoning, business licence).
  • Environmental Health (Public Health Act requirements related to septic; well water; food service permits).
  • Licensing Registered Dietitian (assessment of dietary and food service delivery if meals are provided to children)
  • Community Care Facilities Licensing (assessment and approval of all written submissions; on-site inspections) 

Apply for an amendment to a licence

Apply for a change of facility manager

One of the most common amendments to a licence is a change of facility manager. Should your facility manager resign or expect to be absent for at least 30 consecutive days, you must notify your Licensing Officer.

Please use the following forms to submit a notification and/or amendment to your licence. All other situations require the purchase of an application package.

I Need To...