Learn how to register a complaint if you have concerns about your drinking water.

If you have a complaint or concern about the safety of your drinking water, first contact your water supplier. In many cases, it will be possible to resolve the issue at this point. If your discussion with the water supplier has not addressed your concern, please contact the Fraser Health drinking water program.

To register a complaint

Print and complete the complaint form. Please email completed form to HPland@fraserhealth.ca.

Complaint process

Be sure to make note of the date and time of the call, the name of the person you spoke to, the main points of the conversation and what actions will be taken by the person.

  • How will your complaint be handled?

    Your complaint will be referred to an environmental health officer in the Regional Drinking Water Program. The environmental health officer will contact you by phone within one working day to record and assess the details of your complaint or concern.

    The environmental health officer will, if possible, attempt to resolve or address your complaint at this point. If further follow up is required the environmental health officer will complete these actions where possible within 15 working days. You will be advised of the action taken by the environmental health officer and any outcomes.

  • What if I am not satisfied with the findings of the environmental health officer and I believe there is still a threat to my drinking water?

    Section 29 of the Drinking Water Protection Act states that if a person considers that there is a threat to their drinking water, the person may request the drinking water officer to investigate the matter. The request must be in writing and must include specifics of the facts that the person considers constitute the threat.

    1. If after receiving notice of the action taken and any outcomes you believe the complaint has not been resolved and there is still a threat to your drinking water, you may request in writing a Section 29 investigation under the Drinking Water Protection Act (DWPA).
    2. Upon receipt of your written request for a Section 29 investigation, we will mail, fax or email you a detailed assessment questionnaire.
    3. Complete the questionnaire and return it to us by mail or fax.
    4. Upon receipt of the completed questionnaire your complaint will be reviewed by the regional drinking water program manager and the Fraser Health drinking water officer to determine if a Section 29 investigation is warranted.
    5. Once the review has been completed, you will be notified of our decision to undertake the investigation or deny your request.
    6. If your request is denied, you will be informed in writing of the reasons why.
    7. If a further investigation is undertaken, it will be completed where possible within 15 working days.
  • What if you are not satisfied with the findings and actions taken by Fraser Health?

    If after the complaint investigation has been concluded you have reason to believe that Fraser Health has treated you unfairly, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Ombudsman.

    The Ombudsman can:

    • Provide information about what steps to take in dealing with a public agency.
    • Try to settle complaints through consultation.
    • Investigate complaints about administrative unfairness by a public agency.
    • Make recommendations to a public agency to resolve an unfairness.
    • Report to the provincial legislature.
    • Issue public reports.

Where a complaint relates to privacy and information and you are not satisfied with Fraser Health’s response to the complaint, you have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner.