Where to find a prenatal class near you.
Being pregnant is an exciting time, full of new experiences. To help you through the many questions you may have, register for a prenatal class and a prenatal breastfeeding class.
Prenatal classes are offered as a series of classes or in a one-day session. Some of the topics covered may include the following:
- Expectations and concerns of late pregnancy
- Healthy living in pregnancy
- Comfort measures late in pregnancy
- Preparing for labour and delivery
- Labour and birth - phases and stages
- Options during delivery - risks, benefits and alternatives
- Unexpected outcomes including caesareans
- After birth for mother and baby
Where can I find prenatal classes in my community?
- Douglas College offers prenatal classes in the following communities: Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Chilliwack, North Delta, North Surrey, Langley and Abbotsford.
- Some community recreation centres run prenatal classes. Check your local recreation guide or call your community centre.
Other prenatal classes
Free prenatal breastfeeding classes
Breastfeeding is the best source of nutrition and health protection for a baby. Prenatal breastfeeding classes offer expectant parents an opportunity to learn about breastfeeding basics and techniques. These classes are designed for first-time parents and parents who had difficulties breastfeeding in the past. They are taught by trained public health nurses.
Classes are offered on various days and evenings, visit our events calendar for the full listing and book your free two hour class.
Pregnancy support groups
Pregnancy outreach support programs are available throughout Fraser Health. These groups may offer:
- Prenatal lifestyle counselling
- Connections with other expectant mothers
- Free prenatal vitamins
- Breastfeeding information
- Food coupons
- Labour and delivery information
- Community referrals
- Education around smoking, alcohol or drug concerns
To find out if one of these programs is available in your community, call your local public health unit.