Learn about the residential care licence application process.

  • What is a community care facility?

    A community care facility is a premise, or part of a premise, where care is provided to three or more individuals, not related by blood or marriage to the caregiver.

  • Is there any funding available to help me start up my community care facility business?

    Licensing officers do not have a role in funding for new or existing residential facilities. 

    For funding for residential care, you will have to contact the agency or department that is responsible for the type of care you wish to provide in the area in which you plan to operate, (e.g. Mental Health and Substance Use – Fraser Health Mental Health and Additions Services; Long Term Care – Fraser Health Residential and Assisted Living Program).

  • Can I care for more than two persons while I go through the application process?

    Applicants who have purchased an application package may be actively moving forward with the application process.  We recognize that this process may take a while to complete. However, applicants may only provide care to two children/youth/adults or not more than one sibling group, unrelated to him/her by blood or marriage until a community care facility licence has been issued. A community care facility licence is issued after all legislative requirements have been met.

  • Can I submit my application package in stages?

    Applicants are strongly advised to submit a completed application package to their area licensing officer. Incomplete packages may delay the process of assessing the application package. If you are having difficulties with the application process, you are encouraged to contact your area licensing officer to discuss the challenges you are facing and how you can move forward in the application process.

  • When can I begin advertising?

    Applicants are not permitted to open or advertise as a licensed care facility until they have received a community care facility licence.

  • How long will it take to process my application?

    A number of steps must be completed after an application for licence has been submitted. The time for completing these steps will vary for each applicant, however they will take several weeks to months depending on the complexity of the application.

  • Is a community care facility licence transferable?

    No, a community care facility licence is issued for a specific building (address) and licensee. When there is a change of licensee or facility address a new application for licence is required.

  • What should I do if there is a change in the information I submitted for my application?

    Applicants and licensees much notify their licensing officers immediately of any change in the information he/she has provided when applying for a licence.

Apply for a new residential care licence

You must purchase an application package from your local licensing office. New applicant package fee is $75 (includes application information, copies of relevant legislation as well as required forms.)

*Note: we can only accept payment by cheque or cash in exact amount.

Process to get a licence

After we have received a completed application package, the applicant will be contacted by a licensing officer who will assist the applicant through the process. Issuance of a community care facility licence cannot occur until all legislative requirements have been met. The issuance of a licence can take some time as the process requires a number of approvals including:

  • Municipal (fire, building, zoning, business licence).
  • Environmental health (Public Health Act requirements related to septic; well water; food service permits; personal service establishments such as hair salons).
  • Funding program/agency (if the applicant requires funding to operate, it is the applicant’s responsibility to arrange this and meet funding program/agency requirements).
  • Licensing registered dietitian (assessment and approval of dietary and food service delivery)
  • Community care facilities licensing (assessment and approval of all written submissions; on-site inspections to determine compliance with the Community Care and Assisted Living Act and Residential Care Regulation)

Apply for an amendment to a licence

Apply for a change of facility manager

Should your facility manager resign or expect to be absent for at least 30 consecutive days, you must notify your licensing officer.

Please use the following forms to submit a notification and/or amendment to your licence. All other situations require the purchase of an application package.