Trained examiners who give expert care for people who have experienced sexual assault or violence.
The Forensic Nursing Service has trained examiners who give expert care for people who have experienced sexual assault and or violence. They also have a clinical program that provides follow-up medical care (The Embrace Clinic).
The nurse examiners and nurse practitioners work as a team with local health, social and legal services.
The Forensic Nursing Service is free and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
There are two Forensic Nursing Services in Fraser Health that are accessed through the Emergency Departments:
- Surrey Memorial Hospital
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre
What do we do?
We see people of all genders, two years of age and older, who have or may have experienced sexual, interpersonal or intentional violence in the past 168 hours (seven days):
- No cost, timely, compassionate and culturally sensitive care by trained professional nurse examiners
- Neutral help for patients to make an informed decision about their health and/or forensic care
- With the consent of the patient, forensic exam with collection of forensic samples
- Expert or professional testimony in court trials
- Referrals for follow-up care
Learn more about human trafficking and take the Help: Don't Hinder online learning module.
If you have been or think you have been sexually assaulted or experienced violence, find immediate help.
If it has been more than seven days, contact the Embrace Clinic.
If you have questions, feel free to call us:
- Abbotsford: 604-851-4700 ext. 646147
- Surrey: Phone 604-953-4723, Fax 604-953-4724
- Embrace Clinic: 1-855-775-7223 (Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org