Read details on projects and timelines.
The Burnaby Hospital redevelopment is a multi-year project occurring in two phases and will transform almost every area of the hospital.
Phase one (2021-2025)*
The first phase will include the new Keith and Betty Beedie Pavilion, a new energy centre and upgrades to existing buildings on the health care campus.
The new six-storey Keith and Betty Beedie Pavilion with 78 beds will feature:
- mental health and substance use unit with single rooms to offer patients specialized care in a safe, private environment
- maternity unit that will provide single-room maternity care, where moms will go through labour and delivery, and will recover for the rest of their stay in the same comfortable room
- neonatal intensive care unit with single rooms for more privacy and comfort for families as well as support best practices for infection control
- medicine unit with single rooms, including negative pressure rooms to enhance infection control
A new energy centre will replace the aging power plant and create more electrical capacity to support the hospital’s growth.
Expansion and renovation of existing buildings to include:
- Larger emergency department, reducing wait times and providing greater patient privacy
- Four new operating rooms, increasing the number of surgeries performed
- Additional pre-operative and post-operative recovery spaces, enhancing patient privacy and creating efficiencies
- New medical device reprocessing unit, improving infection control
Detailed business planning for phase two will be begin later this year.
*Dates are projected and may be subject to change.
**Dates to be approved after business plan completion and approval.
Become a part of this exciting new hospital
Interested in joining the Burnaby Hospital team? Learn more about our exciting career opportunities.