Read details on projects and timelines.
The Burnaby Hospital redevelopment is a multi-phase project that will transform the hospital into a modernized medical and surgical health care campus.
Phase one (2021-2026)*
The first phase will include the construction of a new pavilion and the expansion of the existing Support Facilities Building.
The six-storey pavilion will have 83 beds, in primarily single-patient rooms with private bathrooms. It will include:
- mental health and substance use unit with a secured outdoor patio to enhance healing
- maternity unit that will provide single-room maternity care, where individuals will go through labour and delivery, and will recover for the rest of their stay in the same comfortable room
- neonatal intensive care unit with single rooms for more privacy and comfort for families as well as support best practices for infection control
- medical unit with negative pressure rooms and outbreak zones to enhance infection control
- underground parking for improved accessibility.
The expansion and renovations of the Support Facilities Building, which includes the Jim Pattison Surgery Centre and the Burnaby Community Emergency Department, will feature:
- larger emergency department, reducing wait times and providing greater patient privacy
- additional operating rooms and procedure rooms, increasing the number of surgeries performed
- additional pre-operative and post-operative recovery spaces, enhancing patient privacy and creating efficiencies
- new medical device reprocessing unit with improved infection control
- new energy centre, replacing the aging power plant and creating more electrical capacity to support the hospital’s growth
Phase two (2025-2030)*
The second phase will increase the hospital’s bed capacity and expand cancer services. It will include:
- the new Keith and Betty Beedie Acute Care Tower with 160 beds to include general medicine, medical oncology, cardiac telemetry and critical care units
- new BC Cancer Centre
- new medical imaging department
- emergency department expansion
- endoscopy renovations
*Dates are estimated and may be subject to change
Become a part of this exciting new hospital
Interested in joining the Burnaby Hospital team? Learn more about our exciting career opportunities.