The new Surrey hospital and BC Cancer Centre represents the next generation of acute health care in the Fraser Health Region
We are building a new hospital and BC Cancer Centre in Surrey to provide care, closer to home, for hundreds of thousands of people living and working in British Columbia’s fastest-growing community and region.
The new Surrey hospital and BC Cancer Centre will be a fully digitally-equipped, fully electric facility that will be at the forefront of health care innovation, technology and sustainability.
The new hospital and cancer centre will integrate digital and virtual health innovation to increase clinical capacity, expand access to care for patients and their families and improve patient outcomes, enabling us to support thousands of additional patients every year.
With a special focus on general medicine and short-stay surgeries – the areas of greatest projected service demand – the new Surrey hospital and BC Cancer Centre will address the most pressing health care needs of our community, now and in the future.
The new hospital and cancer centre will feature all new technology and equipment, including innovative digital technologies and services that will be incorporated into patients’ journeys, from pre-admission to discharge, to better support patients inside – and outside – a modern smart hospital, connected to a regional smart system of care
Construction of the facility, centrally in Cloverdale, will begin in 2023. The new Surrey hospital and BC Cancer Centre is expected to open to patients in early 2030.
The new hospital will include:
- Inpatient and Outpatient Care
- Surgical services
- 24/7 Emergency Department
- Advanced diagnostics
- Virtual Care
- Pharmacy services
- Cancer Care Centre
- Clinical and other support
- Child daycare centre
The new hospital will enhance regional capacity with:
- 168 inpatient beds
- A surgical/perioperative suite with five operating rooms
- Four procedure rooms
- Emergency Department with 55 treatment spaces
- A dedicated area for spiritual care and family gatherings
The new Surrey hospital and BC Cancer Centre will feature advanced diagnostics services including:
- A Medical Imaging Department with three computed tomography (CT) scanners and two magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines
- State-of-the-art medical imaging equipment with:
- A Cyclotron
- Two Positron Emission Tomography (PET) CT Scanners
- A Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT) Scanner
The new integrated BC Cancer Centre will provide patients and families with better access to care and support, closer to home with:
- An oncology/ambulatory care unit with 50 exam rooms
- 54 chemotherapy treatment spaces
- Six linear accelerators for radiation therapy
Learn more about the BC Cancer Centre.
Additional project details:
- The hospital and cancer centre will feature new technology and equipment, such as state-of-the-art medical imaging equipment, specialized multimodality scanners and more, to increase regional capacity and support health care providers in delivering quality care for better patient outcomes.
- New digital and virtual technologies and services, such as virtual triage, or connecting online with a care provider before and after surgery, will empower patients to receive more of their care from the comfort of their home. Virtual health will also guide patients and providers to the right care setting, which supports improved health outcomes in addition to enhancing patient and provider safety and regional capacity.
- The new hospital will be at the forefront of environmental design, prioritizing energy efficiency enhancements that will meet or exceed LEED (leadership in energy and environmental design) Gold standards.
- The new hospital and cancer centre will be resilient; designed to better mitigate the risk of infectious diseases and as well as flood, seismic and other climate risks such as changing temperatures.
- The new hospital and cancer centre site can accommodate future expansion as needed. Its central location will provide opportunities for service integration with adjacent hospitals: Peace Arch Hospital, Langley Memorial Hospital and Surrey Memorial Hospital.
*Dates and details subject to change.
Come Work With Us
Interested in joining one of our exceptional hospital teams? Learn more about Fraser Health career opportunities.