Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Clinic
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Abbotsford Regional Hospital. Volunteers are important members of the healthcare team. They are citizens of our community, offer service and support to our patients, families and visitors, while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Abbotsford Regional Hospital. We are now accepting applications for our Winter 2018 intake.
Applications will be accepted until February 23, 2018.
Benefits of Volunteering
There are many benefits to volunteering at Abbotsford Regional Hospital Hospital. You will experience personal growth and development, the satisfaction of helping others, career exploration and will meet new people. You will also learn more about the health care system, share your abilities, build new skills and help strengthen your community.
Adult Volunteer Opportunities (Over 19 years of age) - Acute Care
We are accepting for a variety of roles at Abbotsford Regional Hospital. Volunteers must have prior volunteer experience to apply.
- Auxiliary: Gift Shop, other volunteer roles in hospital
- Breast Health
- Cardiac Care; Education Class Greeter
- Diabetes Centre
- General Day Care
- Medical Imaging
- Renal Services: Abbotsford Community Dialysis Unit
- Special Events
- Surgical Day Care
- Volunteer Visitors
If you do not have prior volunteer experience, please consider applying to Residential Care (see below).
Please review the application process and volunteer requirements below. Only candidates who qualify for available positions will be contacted for an interview. If you reside outside of the Abbotsford community, we suggest you submit your application to the hospital in the community in which you reside.
Please be aware that our intake process takes 6-8 weeks from the time that we contact you. It is a multi-step process designed to ensure the safety of our patients, residents and clients.
- Step 1: Application Complete the application form
- Step 2: Interview Those with appropriate skills and availability are selected for an interview
- Step 3: Screening Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4: Orientation Attend a mandatory hospital orientation
- Step 5: Placement Training and placement following orientation
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- Previous volunteer experience
- A current Criminal Record Check and references
- Proof of Seasonal Flu Vaccination and immunity to Measles
- Minimum Age: 19 years (excludes VolunTEEN Program)
- Minimum commitment of six months (Vacations can be accommodated)
- Ability to attend a regularly scheduled two - four hour shift once a week
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
Please note that the application will take a minimum of 20 minutes to complete and will require you to have examples of your work and volunteer experience, emergency contact information, references, shift availability etc. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
A list of interests will be offered at the beginning of the online application process. It is very important to select areas of interest and include your availability in your application. Placement depends on individual skill, availability, experience and the current needs of our patients.
Online Application Form
Volunteer Opportunities for Cottage and Worthington Pavillions - Residential Care
We believe the resident’s quality of life is the focus of our activities. Volunteers are a valued member of the team and play an important role in enhancing the team’s commitment to care. Together with residents, families, and staff, volunteers partner to practice a philosophy of care that:
- Promotes comfort, independence and a sense of belonging for our residents
- Encourages socialization
- Supports communication, leisure interests, varying living abilities and diverse spirituality
For information on volunteering in Residential Care, visit the website for Cottage and Worthington Pavilions.
VolunTEEN Program (16 - 19 years of age)
Applications for the VolunTEEN Program for the 2017-2018 school year is now closed.
If you are under 19 years of age and have graduated and/or are attending a post-secondary school, apply through the Adult application process in January of 2018.
If you require more information, please contact: Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Volunteer Resources