Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Clinic
We are undergoing a review of our current programs and will be transitioning to an online application in January of 2018. During the months of October, November and December we will be accepting paper applications for very specific volunteer roles noted below.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Abbotsford Regional Hospital. Volunteers are important members of the health care team. They are citizens of our community, offer service and support to our patients, families and visitors, while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
Benefits of Volunteering
There are many benefits to volunteering. You will experience personal growth and development, the satisfaction of helping others, career exploration and meet new people. You will also learn more about the health care system, share your abilities, build new skills and help strengthen your community.
Please review the application process and volunteer requirements below. Only candidates who qualify for available positions will be contacted for an interview. If you reside outside of the Abbotsford community, we suggest you submit your application to the hospital in the community in which you reside.
Adult Volunteer Opportunities (Over 19 years of age) - Acute Care
We are accepting applications from people with previous volunteer experience for the following roles:
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital Auxiliary (must become a member of the Auxiliary and pay membership dues)
- Emergency Department (must have previous volunteer experience)
If you are not interested in either of these roles, please come back to the website in January 2018 for other opportunities. Or, please see the opportunities available for Cottage & Worthington Pavillions below.
Please read the following information carefully to clearly understand the process and requirements to volunteer with us.
Our intake process takes 6-8 weeks from the time that we contact you. It is a multi-step process designed to ensure the safety of our patients, residents and clients.
- Step 1 - Application: Complete the application form
- Step 2 - Interview: Applicants with appropriate skills and availability are selected for an interview
- Step 3 - Screening: Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4 - Orientation: Attend a mandatory hospital orientation
- Step 5 - Placement: Training and placement following orientation
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- A current criminal record check and references
- Proof of seasonal flu vaccination and immunity to measles
- Minimum Age: 19 years (excludes VolunTEEN Program)
- Minimum commitment of 6 months (vacations can be accommodated)
- Ability to attend a regularly scheduled 2-4 hour shift once a week
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
Please note that the application will take a minimum of 20 minutes to complete and will require you to have examples of your work and volunteer experience, emergency contact information, references, shift availability etc. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Once you have completed the application, you may scan and email to email@example.com. Or drop it off at the greeter desk in the atrium (front entrance) of the hospital.
Volunteer Opportunities for Cottage & Worthington Pavillions - Residential Care
We believe the resident’s quality of life is the focus of our activities. Volunteers are a valued member of the team and play an important role in enhancing the team’s commitment to care. Together with residents, families, and staff, volunteers partner to practice a philosophy of care that:
- Promotes comfort, independence and a sense of belonging for our residents
- Encourages socialization
- Supports communication, leisure interests, varying living abilities and diverse spirituality
Find more information on volunteering at Cottage and Worthington Pavilions.
VolunTEEN Program (16-19 years of age)
The VolunTEEN Program is a partnership between Fraser Health and the Abbotsford School District. Teens from 16-18 years of age attending School District 34 are eligible to apply. Applicants must have previous volunteer experience and are considering a career in health care.
Applications for the VolunTEEN Program will be made available to Abbotsford Secondary career facilitators the last week of September 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year. Applications must be submitted through your school’s career centre. Please do not drop off VolunTEEN applications at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
Applications will be reviewed and only successful candidates will be contacted and will be required to attend mandatory orientation and department specific training. VolunTEENS are required to volunteer for one full year.
All individuals who have graduated Grade 12 should apply as an Adult volunteer using the application form on the Fraser Health website.
Abbotsford Regional Hospital
32900 Marshall Road