Licensed child care facilities provide a range of child care options for children from birth to 12 years of age.
Types of child care programs
- Group child care (under 36 months)
- Group child care (30 months to school age)
- Preschool (30 months to school age): Up to 4 hours of care per day to children who are at least 30 months old on entrance to the program and 36 months old by December 31 of the year of entrance.
- Group child care (school age): Care before or after school or during periods of school closure to children who attend school, including kindergarten.
- Multi-age child care: Care to 8 children of various ages.
- Family child care: Care for up to 7 children in the licensee’s personal home and where the licensee personally provides the care.
- In-home multi-age care: Care for up to 8 children in the licensee’s personal home and where the licensee personally provides the care.
- Occasional care: No more than 40 hours in a month to children who are at least 18 months old.
- Child-minding: A program that provides care to children while an immigrant parent receives services in respect of English as a second language, settlement or labour market integration.
Find a licenced child care near you
Looking a child care in your area? Search licensed child care services in your community.
Apply for a child care licence
A community care facility licence is required for all programs and facilities providing care to three or more children who are not related to the operator by blood or marriage.
We conduct a variety of inspections, including annual routine inspections to ensure that facilities comply with regulatory requirements.
Exemption or temporary placement
New application forms and information sheets have been developed for you to use when applying for an exemption or temporary placement.
Complaints and investigations
Licensing staff have the legal responsibility to investigate all complaints that a licensed care facility is not complying with the Community Care and Assisted Living Act.
Resources for child care operators
Are you a child care licensee? This section contains packages, regulations, standards of practice and other information vital to your facility.