Working to improve the health of the population and the quality of life of the people we serve.

Assisted Living

Provides housing, hospitality and personal care services

Bookmark and Share

Assisted Living services include housing, hospitality and personal care services for seniors and people with disabilities. The Assisted Living buildings in Fraser Health region are a mix of private-pay and publicly-subsidized suites. Accessing private pay suites is entirely up to the individual and the facility operator; Fraser Health is not involved.

  • Fraser Health works with BC Housing's Independent Living BC (ILBC) program to offer subsidized assisted living services through our service providers. Publicly subsidized suites are available to those who are unable to live independently at home, but do not need access to 24-hour nursing care. Access to publicly subsidized units is through Fraser Health, not the facility operator.
  • Funded assisted living is also an alternative for those who cannot afford private assisted living. Clients should try living at home with support from community services for two to three months prior to accessing funded assisted living.

Services provided:

  • Rental accommodation
  • Hospitality services including lunch and dinner, weekly housekeeping, flat laundry services
  • Social and recreational opportunities
  • 24-hour emergency response system and personal care

Am I eligible?

Read the eligibility page to learn more.

Is there a cost?

Visit the Services and Costs page for more information.

How can I access this service?

  • If you are already a Home Health client and receiving home support and/or health care services, you can access this service through a Home Health case manager at the Home Health office in your community. You cannot access this service through the facility
  • If you are not a Home Health client, contact the Home Health Service Line at 1-855-412-2121 (7 days a week, 8:30-4:30) to request an assessment of your eligibility for Home Health
    • A community case manager will come to your home and complete a comprehensive assessment to determine your care needs
    • The case manager will work with you to develop a plan of care to support you to continue to live in your own home. This may include arranging for someone to assist you with personal care activities (toileting, bathing) and/or help with managing food preparation/consumption
    • Your success with that level of support will be assessed in two to three months. If if it determines that you require hospitality services such as meals, housekeeping, recreation programs and socialization to continue to live independently, assisted living may be the right place for you

Case Manager Assessment

What will a case manager need to know?

  • The case manager will assess your current living situation in light of medical conditions, ability to make decisions, level of mobility and ability to carry out the activities of daily living, current medications, and level of family/caregiver support
  • Because the funded services in the health authority are based on your income, you will be required to provide your income tax assessment.

Can I choose where I live?

  • You can choose your community and preferred site. Wait times will vary from site to site

About private pay assisted living residences

Private pay residences are operated by private organizations and charge market rate for accommodation and services. Fraser Health does not fund or subsidize these services. Funding from the Fraser Health assisted living program is not transferable to private pay assisted living communities.

Transfers within Assisted Living

Can I transfer from a private pay facility to a publicly funded one?

Before being eligible for publicly funded assisted living you must first meet eligibility requirements for Home Health services.

  • If you are a Home Health client, contact your case manager to make this request
  • If you are not known to Home Health, or are no longer a client, call the Home Health Service Line at 1-855-412-2121 (7 days a week, 8:30-4:30) to be assessed for eligibility

Transfers from Assisted Living to Residential Care

What is the process if you believe you need access to more care?

If you are currently in subsidized assisted living and wish to transfer to a subsidized residential care facility:

  • Contact your case manager who will assess your eligibility for residential care

If you are currently in private pay assisted living and wish to transfer to a subsidized residential care facility:

  • If you are a Fraser Health Home Health client, contact your case manager to assess your eligibility
  • If you are not known to Home Health, call the Home Health Service Line at 1-855-412-2121 (7 days a week, 8:30am-4:30pm) to be assessed for eligibility.

Feedback on Your Care

If you have concerns about the care in a private assisted living facility, call the Assisted Living Registry. If you have concerns about the care in publicly subsidized assisted living facility, please contact your Case Manager and/or the Patient Care Quality Office. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction after contacting these resources, you may also call the Assisted Living Registry with your concern.

Assisted Living Registry

Ministry of Health
2-2, 1515 Blanshard St
Victoria, BC V8W 3C8

Phone: 250-952-1369
Toll-free: 1-866-714-3378 (outside the Greater Victoria area)
Fax: 250-952-1119

Healthlink BCCompliments and Complaints
Emergency NumbersFind a Doctor