Royal Columbian Hospital
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Royal Columbian Hospital.
Volunteers are a valued part of the hospital Community. We are fortunate to have more than 300 dedicated volunteers, from students to seniors, who provide caring and compassionate service and give their time to help us create remarkable patient experiences at Royal Columbian Hospital.
- Auxiliary Services: Gift Shop, New To You Thrift Store, Lottery Booth, Critical Care Support, Patient Comfort
- Acute Care Programs: Emergency, Intensive Care Unit, Renal, Cardiac, TLC
- Pet Therapy Program: Dog visiting Program partnered with Pets and Friends
- VolunTEEN: Must attend New Westminster Secondary School
- Pacific Open Heart: Volunteers must have undergone Open Heart Surgery
Placements are determined by matching volunteer qualifications, knowledge, interests and availability with current opportunities. To see the full list of opportunities, click below.
Please visit govolunteer.ca (search Royal Columbian Hospital) to see the current volunteer opportunities.
- 18 years of age or older
- Provide proof of seasonal flu vaccination (other vaccines may be required)
- Are realistic about their ability to commit to volunteering, minimum 9 months/100 hours commitment
- Available one time per week on a consistent day for 2-6 hours
- Strong communications skills—English as a proficiency
- Exceptional customer services skills
- Has empathy and understanding of what patients are going through
- Outgoing and friendly
Please review the volunteer opportunities list located at govolunteer.ca. Please note not all volunteer programs will have vacancies for new applicants. Please apply only for listed positions. We will not keep your application if you have applied for a position not posted. Applications for Acute Care Programs are accepted quarterly. Applications can be submitted any time for Auxiliary Programs, Pet Therapy and Pacific Open Heart.
1. Apply: Complete the Application form and fax to 604-520-4241, email email@example.com or drop off at our office (address below). Please complete the Application Form. If you are applying for our Pet Therapy Program, please complete the Pet Registration Form.
2. Interview: Once your application has been received:
- Your application will be reviewed to ensure that your qualifications, skills and personality suit available positions.
- Only candidates who qualify for listed postings will be contacted.
3. Screening: Once you have been interviewed:
- Reference checks will be completed by program staff.
- Applicant must successfully complete a Criminal Records Check (Documents will be provided during the interview).
4. Orientation: Following completion of a reference check and receipt of Criminal Records Check, you will be notified regarding Orientation dates:
- This session must be completed as a part of the application process BUT does not indicate acceptance into the program.
5. Placement: Once all four steps are completed and staff are satisfied with screening outcomes, you will be contacted regarding program placement and scheduling.
Royal Columbian Hospital Auxiliary (serving the community since 1902)
The Members of the Royal Columbian Hospital Auxiliary are community-minded women and men who donate hundreds of hours of their time every year to operate Auxiliary programs (Library Cart, Critical Care/Support, Crafts, Gift Shop, Lottery Booth, New to you Thrift Shop and Patient Comfort). They raise money to purchase new equipment for the hospital.
Please indicate on your application if you would like to join this energetic and enthusiastic group of volunteers.
For more information on how you can become a volunteer, please contact:
Royal Columbian Hospital
330 East Columbia Street
New Westminster, B.C. V3L 3W7