Aboriginal Mental Health and Substance Use Services
Supporting Aboriginal people in hospital and community
Fraser Health currently has staff called Aboriginal mental health and patient liaisons, who help with connecting and supporting Aboriginal people, their families, and mental health staff to provide Aboriginal cultural appropriate services.
What services do we provide?
Aboriginal mental health case manager and Aboriginal mental health liaison services
Our Aboriginal mental health case manager and Aboriginal mental health liaison can provide assessment, referral, counselling support services, and liaise with other mental health workers in hospital and community.
From connecting patients to community services, assisting and educating health professionals in caring for Aboriginal clients, to helping patients understand and navigate the health care system, liaisons provide invaluable support and services to Fraser Health’s Aboriginal patient population.
How do I access these services?
- In Surrey, Delta, White Rock, Langley and Tsawwassen, call the Aboriginal mental health liaison at 604.953.4900 extension 763041
- In Mission, call the Aboriginal mental health case manager at 604.814.5642
What if I need to get help now?
If you have an urgent matter you need support with, please contact:
Kuu-us Crisis Response Services Line at 1-800-KUU-US17 (588-8717)
- Culturally sensitive help
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- First Nations helping First Nations
Aboriginal health liaisons in hospitals
The Aboriginal Health Liaison team works together with health care providers to provide better care in the most appropriate manner to Aboriginal people.
Aboriginal health liaisons can connect with Aboriginal patients and family members, health care professionals, and other service providers to ensure Aboriginal patients receive culturally sensitive, appropriate, and timely care, whether in hospital or community.
Aboriginal health liaisons can provide support, advocacy, and health education to Aboriginal clients and their families in hospital and community settings.
How do I contact an Aboriginal health liaison?
If you are Aboriginal and receiving care in a Fraser Health hospital, you can contact an Aboriginal Health Liaison to help you access health care services to meet your cultural needs.
You can contact an Aboriginal health liaison through the following hospital locations:
- Royal Columbian Hospital, Burnaby Hospital, Ridge Meadows Hospital, Eagle Ridge Hospital
604.587.4750 ext 766632
- Surrey Memorial Hospital, Peace Arch Hospital, Delta Hospital, Langley Memorial Hospital
604.587.4750 ext 766633
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Chilliwack General Hospital, Mission Memorial Hospital, Fraser Canyon Hospital
604.795.4141 ext 614213
First Nations Health Authority
For assistance with First Nations Health Benefits, patient travel and advocacy contact the Fraser Salish regional liaison at 1-855-550-5454 or HealthBenefits@fnha.ca