Become a volunteer at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
Volunteers are important members of the health care team. They offer service and support to our patients, families and visitors, while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
We are currently only accepting applications for the following volunteer roles:
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital Auxiliary ($10 membership fee is required and paid to the Abbotsford Regional Hospital Auxiliary)
- Emergency Department (must have previous volunteer experience)
- Greeter Information Desk (must have previous volunteer experience)
For the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit or Baby Cuddler Program, only current Abbotsford Regional Hospital volunteers with a minimum two years experience in our facility are eligible to apply for this role and they are then placed on a wait list until there is a vacancy.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- Must have previous volunteer experience
- A current criminal record check and references
- Proof of seasonal flu vaccination and immunity to measles
- Minimum age: 19 years (excludes VolunTEEN Program)
- Minimum commitment of six months (vacations can be accommodated)
- Ability to attend a regularly scheduled two - four hour shift once a week
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Reside in the Abbotsford community
Complete the application form and include a personal written letter of reference.
Place in a sealed envelope and drop off at the greeter information desk in the atrium of Abbotsford Regional Hospital or mail to:
Abbotsford Regional Hospital
32900 Marshall Road
Abbotsford, BC V2S 0C2
Our intake process takes 6-8 weeks from the time that we contact you. It is a multi-step process designed to ensure the safety of our patients, residents and clients.
- Step 1 Application: Complete the application form
- Step 2 Interview: Only candidates who qualify for available position will be contacted for an initial interview.
- Step 3 Screening: Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4 Orientation: Attend a volunteer orientation session
- Step 5 Placement: Training and placement following orientation
VolunTEEN program (16 - 19 years of age)
The VolunTEEN program has one annual intake starting the third week of September. Middle and secondary school students ages 16 to 18, who live in the Abbotsford School District, are eligible to apply. Applicants must have volunteer experience and the intent to pursue a career in health care. Please contact your school career counsellor in the third week of September for more information.
Abbotsford Regional Hospital Auxiliary
The Abbotsford Regional Hospital Auxiliary has been serving the health care communities for over 95 years. This non-profit society oversees and manages the hospital gift shop and is involved closely with the Fraser Valley Health Care Foundation in providing funding for much-needed medical equipment and patient comfort items. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities with the auxiliary, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Together with residents, families, and staff, volunteers partner to practice a philosophy of care that:
- Promotes comfort, independence and a sense of belonging for our residents
- Encourages socialization
- Supports communication, leisure interests, varying living abilities and diverse spirituality