Become a volunteer at Royal Columbian Hospital.
Visit our webpage to view current Royal Columbian Hospital volunteer opportunities.
The volunteers at Royal Columbian Hospital share a commitment to improving the quality of the patient and family experience, and are an integral part of the health care team; supporting and enhancing the work of the health care professionals.
Our volunteers are engaged in meaningful activities and roles such as wayfinders, patient visitors and auxiliary members. Volunteering provides opportunities to explore new careers, learn new skills, meet new people and give back to your community.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- Minimum age: 18 years for all positions within the hospital; 16 years for positions at the New to You Thrift Store
- Minimum commitment: nine months (one three hour shift per week on a consistent day) and 100 hours
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- Proof of season flu vaccination (when applicable)
- Proof of COVID-19 full vaccination
View current opportunities and complete the application form online.
- Step 1 Application: Complete the application form online, include your resume
- Step 2 Screening: Criminal record check with the BC Ministry of Justice, an interview and two reference checks
- Step 3 Orientation: Complete an online orientation session for volunteers and attend a hospital orientation session
- Step 4 Placement: Training and placement will follow the orientation
Overview of programs
Royal Columbian health care volunteer
Royal Columbian Hospital volunteers are an integral part of the health care team. They are instrumental in helping to create a positive experience for our patients, families and visitors. Our health care volunteers participate in varied programs, such as Wayfinding and Patient Support. Volunteering in a hospital is a way to learn about possible careers in health care.
Royal Columbian Hospital Auxiliary
Royal Columbian Hospital Auxiliary was founded in 1902 and the members are a group of dedicated volunteers who have donated thousands of hours of their time every year to raise money to purchase new equipment for the hospital, through the Gift Shop, New to You Thrift Store and Lottery Booth.
When applying to become a part of the Auxiliary team, please indicate this on your application form.
Pet Therapy Program
Volunteers and their pets visit selected patients. Pets must be screened by BC Pets and Friends or St. John Therapy Dog prior to placement.
Please indicate on your application form that you are interested in the Pet Therapy program.
Pacific Open Heart Program
Provides support and encouragement to open heart surgery patients.
Criteria: Volunteers must have undergone open-heart surgery.
Please indicate on your application form that you are interested in the Pacific Open Heart program.