Become a volunteer at Ridge Meadows Hospital.
Volunteers are important members of the health care team. They offer service and support to our patients, families and visitors, while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Ridge Meadows Hospital.
We are currently accepting applications until August 31 for our September 2018 intake.
Opportunities (not all areas have vacancies)
- Ambulatory Care Volunteer: Offer socialization, diversion and support to the patients undergoing treatment and act as a liaison between the patients and staff.
- Ambulatory Care Wayfinder :Greet and provide attention, information and assistance to patients with Ambulatory Care appointments
- Code K9 Pet Therapy Volunteer: Provide patients and clients with the physical and mental benefits of regular contact with a visiting volunteer dog.
- Day Program for Older Adults Volunteer: Offer socialization, companionship and support to clients and staff.
- Emergency Volunteer (experience required): Provide support, information and companionship to selected patients and visitors and act as a liaison between patients and staff.
- Medical Imaging Host: Greet clients and make them feel welcome and comfortable as they enter, register and wait for medical imaging procedures.
- Psychiatry Activity Volunteer (experience required): Assist staff in organized recreational activities with patients.
- Residential Care Recreation Volunteer: Assist with recreation programming in residential care which allow residents to participate in life skills activities.
- TLC Visiting Volunteer: Offer socialization, companionship and mental stimulation to patients, and assist with non-patient tasks as identified
- Walking Program Volunteer: Assist physiotherapists and rehabilitation assistants with programs.
- Wayfinder: Provide personal, individual attention and direction to persons needing access to the hospital and its services.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- A current criminal record check
- Proof of seasonal flu vaccination and immunity to measles
- Minimum age: 18 years (excludes VolunTEEN Program)
- Minimum commitment of eight months (vacations can be accommodated)
- Ability to attend a regularly scheduled two - four hour shift once a week
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
Complete the application form and include a personal written letter of reference. Allow 30 minutes to complete your application.
- Step 1 Application: Complete the application form
- Step 2 Interview: Only candidates who qualify for available position will be contacted for an initial interview.
- Step 3 Screening: Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4 Orientation: Attend a volunteer orientation session
- Step 5 Placement: Training and placement following orientation
VolunTEEN program (16 - 18 years of age)
The VolunTEEN Program is open to students in grades 10-12 who live and/or attend school in Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows. The application intake occurs once a year in September in partnership with School District #42 and the local private schools. For more information, students can contact their school career centre.
Ridge Meadows Hospice Society
The Ridge Meadows Hospice Society provides support and care to the individuals and their loved ones experiencing the end of life journey, grief and bereavement. Learn more on how you can become a volunteer.
Economy Cottage and Golden Ears Gift Shop
The Ridge Meadows Hospital Auxiliary operates the Economy Cottage (community thrift store) and Golden Ears Gift Shop (located at hospital).
- Economy Cottage: Assist with daily operations, including opening and closing of the shop, sales, tidying displays and sorting donations.
- Gift Shop: Assist with daily operations, including opening and closing of the shop and sales.