Become a volunteer at Langley Memorial Hospital and Long Term Care.
Volunteers are important members of the health care team. They offer service and support to our patients, families and visitors, while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Langley Memorial Hospital and long term care.
- Langley Memorial Hospital Auxiliary: The purpose of this organization, through its individual members, is to promote and advance the welfare of the hospital through service to the hospital and its patients and residents and through fundraising in a manner satisfactory to the person in charge of the Langley Memorial Hospital operations and in harmony with the planning of the community.
- Administration: assisting with administration duties such as scanning, filing, organizing and photo copying.
- Welcome and Information Desk: Support patients, visitors and clients of the hospital by providing information, assisting with directions and escorting clients to units when needed. Assist with maintaining a tidy lobby.
- Ambulatory Clinic: Prepare bags for cystoscopy and endoscopy patients.
- Psychiatry Program Support: Explore and facilitate the therapeutic value of leisure activities in a group setting on an inpatient psychiatric setting, engagement in group activities, teach games, encourage participation and socialization among co-patients.
- Physiotherapy clinic: assisting recreation therapist and occupational therapy in physio department.
- Emergency host: Provide support, information to patients, families and visitors in the Emergency department.
- Maternity Unit tour guide: enhance the Maternity patients experience by providing a friendly welcome and a general site tour to patients and their families that are new to the hospital, offer support by providing handouts and information of who to contact with further questions.
- Walk and Talk companions: Provide support to patients of the PATH Unit by visiting and communicating while on a friendly walk.
- Dining room host: Help deliver meal trays and assist patients by opening containers and adding condiments during the meal service. Visit, socialize and provide support to patients and their families.
- Long term care companions: Provide socialization to the residents in the long term care and assisted living units, play games with residents, play bingo, nail painting, colouring club, tea time, baking, etc.
- Gift Shop: Assist with daily operations, including opening and closing of the shop, sales and restocking merchandise.
- Spiritual care: act in an advisory capacity to the Spiritual Care Practitioner (SCP) and the Leadership Team of Langley Memorial Hospital (LMH) and to support the provision of Spiritual Care services at LMH.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- A current criminal record check and references
- Minimum age: 19 years (excludes VolunTEEN Program)
- Minimum commitment of six months
- Proficient in English
Adult application process
Complete application form.
Our intake process takes 6-8 weeks from the time that we contact you. It is a multi-step process designed to ensure the safety of our patients, residents and clients.
- Step 1 Application: Complete the application form
- Step 2 Interview: Only candidates who qualify for available position will be contacted for an initial interview.
- Step 3 Screening: Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4 Orientation: Complete an online orientation
- Step 5 Placement: Training and placement following orientation
VolunTEEN Opportunities – 16 to 18 years
Langley Memorial Hospital Auxiliary supports and sponsors our VolunTEEN program.
VolunTEENs provide support to our patients, residents and visitors at Langley Memorial Hospital and long-term care. VolunTEENs bring a mature attitude and friendly smile to those they assist.
Teens from 16-18 years of age and attending school in Langley or recently graduated are invited to apply.
The 2021-2022 VolunTEEN program will run from November 1 to August 12. VolunTEENs must commit to attending one 2-hour shift as determined each week from November 1 to August 12.
Shifts from November to June will include running the Information desk, being an activity support working in long-term care and potential opportunities in Pediatrics, Maternity, Nursery, Ambulatory Care and with our Auxiliary.
As our Auxiliary remains a big sponsor of our Volunteer Program in Langley, shifts in July and August will take place at either the Hospital Gift Shop or the Auxiliary-run thrift store.
The deadline for application is November 1, 2021.
Before you start your online application, please be aware:
You will be required to upload the following:
- Two references
- Proof of age – can be a photocopy
- Signed parental consent
Please ensure these are complete and ready to upload prior to starting the online application which will take approximately 40 minutes to complete. Once the application process begins and you enter your contact information you must complete the entire application. If you close your browser and leave the application in-complete it will not be saved and will be deleted.
Complete the VolunTEEN application form.
- Langley Hospice Society. Provides emotional, practical and spiritual support for people who are living with a terminal illness, their family and friends, throughout the last stages of illness, at the time of death and bereavement.
- Penny Pincher Thrift Shop. Raises funds in support of Langley Memorial Hospital.