Become a volunteer at Langley Memorial Hospital and Residential Care.
Volunteers are important members of the health care team. They offer service and support to our patients, families and visitors, while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Langley Memorial Hospital and Residential Care.
VolunTEEN Opportunities – 16 to 18 years
Langley Memorial Hospital Auxiliary supports and sponsors our VolunTEEN program.
VolunTEENs provide support to our patients, residents and visitors at Langley Memorial Hospital and Residential Care. VolunTEENs bring a mature attitude and friendly smile to those they assist. They provide library rounds; work at the Information Desk and many other tasks related to patient/resident comfort.
Teens from 16-18 years of age and attending school in Langley or recently graduated are invited to apply. Preference is given to applicants with prior volunteer or work experience and who have a goal of pursuing a career in health care.
The VolunTEEN program runs from October 1 to August 30. VolunTEENs must commit to attending one two-hour shift as determined each week between October 1 to June 30 and one four-hour shift between July 1 and August 30 as well as attend an orientation date of September 29, 2018.
VolunTEEN intake is now closed.
- Emergency host: Provide support, information to patients, families and visitors in the Emergency department.
- Gift Shop: Assist with daily operations, including opening and closing of the shop, sales and restocking merchandise.
- Welcome and Information Desk: Support patients, visitors and clients of the hospital by providing information, assisting with directions and escorting clients to units when needed. Assist with maintaining a tidy lobby.
- Dining room host: Help deliver meal trays and assist patients by opening containers and adding condiments during the meal service. Visit, socialize and provide support to patients and their families.
- Walk and Talk companions: Provide support to patients of the PATH Unit by visiting and communicating while on a friendly walk.
- Residential companions: Provide socialization to the residents in the residential care and assisted living units.
- Spiritual care
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- A current criminal record check and references
- Minimum age: 19 years (excludes VolunTEEN Program)
- Minimum commitment of six months
- Proficient in English
Adult application process
Our adult volunteer intake is now open June 1 - September 30, 2018. Complete the online application form.
Our intake process takes 6-8 weeks from the time that we contact you. It is a multi-step process designed to ensure the safety of our patients, residents and clients.
- Step 1 Application: Complete the application form
- Step 2 Interview: Only candidates who qualify for available position will be contacted for an initial interview.
- Step 3 Screening: Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4 Orientation: Complete an on-line orientation
- Step 5 Placement: Training and placement following orientation
- Langley Hospice Society. Provides emotional, practical and spiritual support for people who are living with a terminal illness, their family and friends, throughout the last stages of illness, at the time of death and bereavement.
- Penny Pincher Thrift Shop. Raises funds in support of Langley Memorial Hospital.