Become a volunteer at Peace Arch Hospital.
Peace Arch Hospital (PAH) Volunteer resources is now recruiting a limited number of volunteers into select roles. A current needs assessment indicates volunteer assistance is required in the following areas:
- Information and wayfinding volunteers – Volunteers assist patients and site guests to navigate their way throughout the PAH campus. Volunteers in this role must be very comfortable working with the public and comfortable with approaching people to ask if they need assistance. Volunteers in this role should have previous experience in dealing with the public in a voluntary or professional capacity. Exceptional customer service and communication skills are required for this role.
- Volunteers in Long Term Care and Mental Health and Substance Use (MHSU) – Volunteers in both areas support Recreation staff to provide comprehensive and diverse recreation programs. Volunteers must be outgoing by nature and genuinely enjoy working with seniors. Previous experience (professional, voluntary or personal) working with MHSU clients is required.
Important: Volunteer applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and be willing to wear a hospital-issued procedural mask and protective eyewear such as a mask with a visor (hospital issue) or goggles (hospital issue).
Volunteers are essential members of the health care team. They offer service and support to our patients, families and visitors while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Peace Arch Hospital.
Most of our volunteer placements are offered Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to – 5:00 p.m., and some weekend placements are available.
We are looking for volunteers that have a high level of self-confidence with various life experience. Good communication and customer service skills are essential. We will be looking for volunteers to highlight these skills during their discussions with us regarding volunteering at our site.
Highlights of our volunteer opportunities
We involve volunteers in many areas across our hospital including:
- Surgical Daycare
- Long Term Care
- Public Health
- Hospital Hosts
- Older Adult Mental Heath and Substance Use
- Medical Units
- Pet Visiting – Must be approved to visit through BC Pets and Friends or
St. John Ambulance
- Inpatient Rehab
We do not recruit volunteers for the maternity unit at Peace Arch Hospital.
All available volunteer opportunities are indicated in the general interest section of the volunteer application form.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- 18 years plus
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- A weekly, consistent commitment is required
- A minimum six month commitment volunteering one day per week for up to three hours. University students who are returning for the summer and have volunteered in good standing at Peace Arch Hospital in the past can be an exception to this requirement.
- Your ability to successfully engage with our staff/patients and residents is very important to us
If you have questions, please call us at 604-531-5512 to inquire.
Am I ready to Volunteer? – Self Reflection
Please take the time to review this form to help you determine if volunteering with us is the right decision for you. This is a detailed list of requirements to volunteer at Peace Arch Hospital. These requirements support excellent care and provide you with a good foundation for volunteering in health care. We appreciate you taking the time to consider if this is the right choice for you.
Complete the application form online. Allow 30 minutes to complete.
- Step 1 Application: Complete the application form
- Step 2 Interview: Only candidates who qualify for available position will be contacted for an initial interview.
- Step 3 Screening: Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4 Orientation: Complete online training modules and attend a new volunteer orientation session
- Step 5 Placement: Role specific training and placement following orientation
Our partner organizations
The following are our volunteer organization partners whom we are proud to be affiliated with and we recommend them as great organizations to volunteer with:
- Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary Society
The Peace Arch Hospital Auxiliary Society (PAHAS) Board of Directors is actively recruiting new members to join our team in the capacity of treasurer and director(s) at large.We are a volunteer-based organization committed to raising funds and giving of our time to support patient care and comfort at Peace Arch Hospital. We provide various supports to hospital staff and physicians and raise awareness of Peace Arch Hospital in the community. Auxiliary operated initiatives such as the hospital gift shop, gift cart and Superfluity Thrift shop help us reach our goals.We are currently looking for individuals with a variety of skill sets including:· Previous board experience· A background in finance and/or human resources· Experience in fundraising and/or philanthropy· Advertising/marketing· Proven ability to work independently and as a valued team memberWe are a diverse group of volunteers encompassing all ages. Volunteering is a great way to give back to the community and your hospital. If you are interested in hearing more about us and the work that we do please email email@example.com. Your inquiry will be forwarded to our Nominating Committee volunteers who will connect with you to answer any questions that you might have.
- Peace Arch Hospice Society
- St. John Ambulance Therapy Dogs
- BC Pets & Friends
Please note that these organizations have their own recruitment processes.