Become a volunteer at one of our Hope and Agassiz health services.
Volunteers are important members of the health care team. They offer service and support to our patients, residents, families and visitors while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Hope and Agassiz Health Services.
View a list of current available opportunities (keyword search: Hope).
Auxiliary to the Fraser Canyon Hospital and Fraser Hope Lodge
The Auxiliary to Fraser Canyon Hospital and Fraser Hope Lodge members give thousands of hours annually to raise funds for vital equipment needed for patient and resident care. Volunteer opportunities are available in the hospital gift shop, immunization clinics, older adult day program, Fraser Hope Lodge recreation department, and special event fundraisers.
Community volunteers contribute by providing social and emotional support to patients in the hospital or to residents in Fraser Hope Lodge.
- Emergency and information volunteer: Enhance communication and provide comfort and support to patients, families and visitors in the Emergency Department. Assist visitors to find their way to diagnostic departments and provide information as required.
- Activity cart visiting program: Encourage patients to participate in leisure activities; provide companionship and social interaction while playing cards, colouring or reading.
- Day program for older adults: Volunteers support older adults to participate in recreation and leisure activities at the day care centre. Shifts are weekdays between 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Baby and immunization public health clinics: Provide instructions and information to clients visiting the immunization clinics; assist the public in completing required forms, offer to play with children while their sibling is receiving their immunization, weigh babies and assist staff as requested.
- Recreation program volunteer in Fraser Hope Lodge: Offer emotional and/or physical support to residents in order for them to participate in leisure activities such as gardening, painting, music, woodworking, crib, cards, crafts, bowling, and bingo. Bring your talents to share with the residents.
- VolunTEEN program for students aged 16-18 years: Participate in leisure activities with residents and act as a dining room host for the evening meal. Shifts are daily from 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. and weekend shifts are available from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Obtain excellent work experience and decide if health care is the right career for you.
Fraser Canyon Hospital is also fortunate to have partnerships with many agencies
- Hope Hospice Society. Visitation volunteers provide support to terminally ill patients at Fraser Canyon Hospital and their families and friends in the community.
- Pets & Friends. Trained pet and friend teams visit with patients and residents who love animals.
- St. John Ambulance Pet Therapy. Trained pet and friend teams visit with patients and residents who love animals.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- A criminal record check
- Minimum age: 16 - 18 years (depending on the program)
- Minimum commitment: 75 hours
Complete the online application form.
- Step 1 Application: Complete the application form
- Step 2 Interview: Only candidates who qualify for available positions will be contacted for an initial interview
- Step 3 Screening: Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4 Orientation: Attend a volunteer orientation session
- Step 5 Placement: Training and placement following orientation
VolunTEEN program (16 - 18 years of age)
Priority for placement in the VolunTEEN program at Fraser Hope Lodge, public health or the older adult day program is given to students who are considering a health care career. Previous volunteer experience is required for volunteer positions in Fraser Canyon Hospital.