Volunteer as a Sehat Wellness Ambassador to empower and provide culturally relevant health information to the South Asian communities.
The South Asian Health Institute’s (SAHI) goal is to improve the health and health outcomes of the South Asian population. SAHI values culture through innovative, evidence based care and empowers the South Asian population to make healthier decisions. To learn more about SAHI, visit www.fraserhealth.ca/sahi.
As a Sehat Wellness Ambassador (or SAHI volunteer), you will compliment the work of the South Asian Health Institute. This community-based program aims to improve the health and well-being of South Asian communities in the Fraser Health region. You will work with our team and the community on various health promotion activities and support system navigation. This program is offered at various community settings within the Fraser Health region, including places of worship, businesses and key community centres.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis, but call-backs for interviews are done twice a year (February and July) or as needed.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- Minimum age: 18 years of age
- Minimum commitment: six months or 24 hours (four hours per month), which ever comes first where volunteers sign up for a minimum of two shifts per month
- Ability to communicate effectively in South Asian language(s) – e.g., Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, etc.
- Ability to engage respectfully with a diverse population
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and set appropriate boundaries
- Ability to work in a team, communicate effectively and have a positive attitude
- Interest in health and well-being and willingness to learn about different health topics
- Step one: Application – complete the application form
- Step two: Interview – only candidates who qualify for available positions will be contacted for an invitation to interview
- Step three: Screening – a criminal record check and two references will be required
- Step four: Orientation and Training – complete the required training material and sessions
- Step five: Placement – upon completion of all training, volunteers can sign-up for shifts